ECN Forum
Posted By: mountainman Training - 01/23/03 05:56 PM
I am wondering how many other states require continuing education on every code cycle to renew their Journymans or Master lisence? In Va. we are required to have CEU's to renew our lisence.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Training - 01/23/03 07:56 PM
mountainman,

On Long Island Licensing is at the County or sometimes Town level. Some areas do require CEU's and some don't.

Bill
Posted By: cubby964 Re: Training - 01/23/03 08:10 PM
The state of Colorado requires a 20 question multiple choice quiz be answered prior to renewal of any license. Three electrical licenses: residential wireman, journeyman, and master. Renewal every two years.
Posted By: mvrandazzo Re: Training - 01/23/03 10:35 PM
Michigan requires 15 hours of update classes every code cycle.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Training - 01/24/03 01:47 AM
8 hours here in Houston. Everytime the code changes, we have to take a class.

Regards,
Doc
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Training - 01/24/03 03:02 AM
Here in New Jersey, at the present time we have to do 10 hrs at lic. renewal
9 hrs NEC, and 1 hr State Law (Contractors)

It is changing (increasing) with the next license renewal cycle (3 yr period). I'll post the new requirements as soon as I verify them
Harold Endean, are you out there???

John
Posted By: Surge_in_fl Re: Training - 01/24/03 03:08 AM
14 hours of CEU's every two years here in Florida for electrical contractors.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Training - 01/24/03 04:29 AM
John,

Yea, I'm here. I don't make it every night but I get here at least 3 times a week. You are correct that MJ still requires 10 hrs. for our contractors lic. and for our inspectors lic. if you are HHS you need 3 credits which equals about 3 days for our HHS lic. We also need 1/2 credit for each of our sub code and 1/2 credit for our construction code lic. which equals 2 more days. NJ is talking about 30 hours continuing for elec. contractors lic.. I don't know if it is the standard yet.
Posted By: Big A Re: Training - 01/24/03 06:39 PM
Hello mountianman,

If there ever was a state that needs CEU's, it would be Virginia. In fact, I don't think they require ENOUGH. Remember the wholesale give away of '96?

Hello All,

In 1996 the State of Virginia literally gave out thousands of master license's to unqualified jacklegs. All you pretty much had to do is show that you "worked" in the trade for the last ten years and they gave you a master card. The only proof you had to have was a letter from an employer stating that you did the type of work that was on the card you were applying for. It sounds all well and fine, except, at the textile mill I was working at then, we had motor builders getting their master electrician's cards. Boiler operators getting their master plumbers and master gas fitter card's. All you had to have was a letter.

Now I'm sure that there were plenty of legitimate people that got their license's this way but I'm sure there are many more unqualified people that did. I wish Virginia would make a notation on the license stating whether or not you were tested.
Posted By: writerguy Re: Training - 01/24/03 07:19 PM
http://www.mikeholt.com/statelicense.php
Posted By: mountainman Re: Training - 01/24/03 09:21 PM
Hi Big A,
Brother are you right about that. That was the biggest mistake this state ever done. I have run across electricians (thought they were)with master cards and could not wire a 3-way switch. DPOR is making changes to all that, hopefully. Take care and be safe.
Joe
Posted By: waymag Re: Training - 01/26/03 04:32 AM
Well here in Texas it is all local level. I just give them my cash and they hand me a new card. I like the idea of the CEU just to keep me up to date. I have my Dallas licsense and I wish it was statewide but it is not.
© ECN Electrical Forums