ECN Forum
Posted By: Joe Tedesco History of the GFCI Video - 12/22/13 03:12 PM
History of the GFCI Video

History of the GFCI Video
Posted By: electure Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/22/13 05:05 PM
They didn't even mention GFI until almost 8 minutes into the video.

"Electrical current is always seeking to go back to ground"?
I've always thought that it seeks to go back to it's source.

Never the less, I enjoyed it, if just for it's nostalgic humor. The FPE breaker tripping was the best part.

Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/22/13 05:09 PM
Thanks. I hope that I can post more videos in this manner without being told that I am "Link Dumping" Please advise and where can I find the BB rules?
Posted By: electure Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/22/13 06:31 PM
The forum rules are posted up in the "Register Now" button at the top of the page.

The one that may be applicable to your situation is
"You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB."

At least make an effort to post some original material with your links, so as not to become known as a link dumper.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/23/13 06:07 AM
It is ironic that the two most reviled names in electrical equipment,FPE, & Zinsco, were shown in that electrical safety video.

When was the film made? My guess is late 1960's since GFCI's were included in the 1971 NEC.
Posted By: switches Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/25/13 08:28 PM
Great video and goes very well with the other thread we had. I would say the video was made in about 1971, because the new GFCI receptacle shown is a Pass & Seymour, and that's the year their site claims they introduced it and was the first of its kind.
Posted By: harold endean Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 05:40 PM
Joe,

That film reminds me of our first SS meeting with the Wiz and Sheriff and I. Where the Wiz gave us a speach on the GFI circuitry.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 06:08 PM
Hello Caper:

Yes it does, and we had a great time! I will always remember our Secret Society of Electricians. I still have the plaque "The Nail" that was presented to me when we all met. I will be away for a few months, but when I return in April, I will make it my point to visit you; and if we can round up the rest of the crew maybe we can meet again. Prodigy was what we had 20 yeas ago; now all is good and faster on my various devices. Please send me (private message) your number so I can call you. I will put the picture we took in Mystic on my board in an album. I imagine we are older and of course wiser. Greg always has something nice to say about the training and help I gave all of the SSE when preparing for the IAEI Certifications. I see he too has time on his hands spending it here as a Moderator.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 06:22 PM
I am sorry I missed those SS meetings but I did get the T shirt wink

[Linked Image from gfretwell.com]
Posted By: harold endean Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 06:35 PM
Yikes,

Greg, I look like a terrorist in that picture! Joe,
I forget the name of the gentleman on your left. I remember he worked for the POCO up in Conn. and he taught us about a re-closing devices for the power lines.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 07:29 PM
I will have to check my files from when we posted our messages on Prodigy. I have a lot of old files from then and it may take me some time. Is Wally still active in the business?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 09:29 PM
Another blast from the past

Posted By: gfretwell Re: History of the GFCI Video - 12/31/13 10:10 PM
Left to right (picture)
Ed Schick, Harold E, Joe T, Rich Lintl, Wally Harris
Wiz ........Caper .....Nail .....Poh Bah .....Sheriff
Posted By: harold endean Re: History of the GFCI Video - 01/02/14 04:23 AM
Greg,

That's right! Rich was Poh Bah! Oh man, I forgot that, it seems like a long time ago. I haven't heard from Sheriff in years. I hope all is well with him. As for the Wiz, he and I were good friends on the board, but we tried to keep in touch. He lived in NY state, just north of NJ as I remembered. Do you remember a member named "The Whale"? He grew up in the town next to me and he was part of our SS and his wife committed suicide. I got his e-mail that day, it was an e-mail, I will never forget.

P.S. I still have my T-shirt. I don't think it fits anymore smile but I will never give it away!
Posted By: andey Re: History of the GFCI Video - 01/12/14 03:53 PM
Can anyone read the year they display at the end of the clip?
It's interesting to see they name a californian professor as the inventor of the gfci.
Here in Germany you will be told it's a german/austrian invention, first patented in 1903 by Schuckert company which was a part of Siemens. Then there seems to be a US patent by Nicholson from 1908, based on the 1903 work.
The first GFCI for wide use by power customers was presented in 1951 by Schupa company.
My parents have a 1968 house that had a 3-phase main GFCI by Schupa installed when built.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: History of the GFCI Video - 01/13/14 06:47 PM
Well the Schupa product (as well as any previous designs) was probably what is referred to as an electro-mechanical RCD. The modern US GFI is partially electronic in order to achieve the higher sensitivity of 6 mA.

To add more confusion, the first usable 30 mA RCD was designed by an Austrian, Gottfried Biegelmeier in the late 50s.

The oldest RCD I've seen myself is probably from 1955 and has a trip current of 1 A. It was used to protect a 3-phase socket in my great-grandparents' home in Germany. All other circuits in the house are TN-C (i.e. with a jumper between neutral and earth in each socket) but the 3ph socket was not, probably because the original electrician thought it would likely supply outdoor equipment (it's right next to the front door).
Posted By: andey Re: History of the GFCI Video - 01/13/14 10:32 PM
Wow, 6mA?
Isnt that pretty close for some line filters, power supplies...?

How long have they had 6mA? The animation at 8:00 shows a regular circuit without electronics.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: History of the GFCI Video - 01/14/14 02:36 AM
I really have not had much nuisance tripping from PCs connected to GFCIs and as long as your wiring practices are tight you can have them all over, outside in the rain and get away with it
© ECN Electrical Forums