ECN Forum
Posted By: BigB Advice Needed - 10/12/13 03:27 AM
Looking at pulling 3-4/0 aluminum XHHW conductors approx 90 feet with four long 90s (sweeps)in 2" IMC. Is this doable using 2" IMC and 2 guys? Actually we could put the end sweep together last which would reduce it to 3 90s and about 80 feet.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Advice Needed - 10/12/13 04:35 AM
With no grounding conductor?

By code the conduit run should be installed first. Trying to spin a sweep on a pipe can damage the conductors. I don't have my NEC handy but I'm pretty sure you can pull the 4/0 in especially if they are compact AL conductors
Posted By: twh Re: Advice Needed - 10/12/13 02:58 PM
There are a lot of variables that you aren't sharing. Pulling up or down, feeding up or down, space to stretch cables out on the feed end, locations of the 90s, the size of the guys etc.

I think it's cheaper to have one guy stand around doing nothing than to have a crew wait for a couple hours while you find help.
Posted By: BigB Re: Advice Needed - 10/12/13 05:12 PM
first 90 under panel into ground then 12 feet laterally to second 90 coming up outside patio wall and into third 90 to change directions 90 degrees, then 70 feet along wall to last 90 which will sweep up into the service mast. Average guys, not weak, not Charles Atlases either.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Advice Needed - 10/12/13 06:32 PM
Lube. Lotsa lube
Posted By: twh Re: Advice Needed - 10/12/13 07:22 PM
3 guys.

2 guys on the feed end to start. One guy pulls slack in the cable and the other pushes and lubes. "Pulling wire" is misleading. Half the job is pushing the wire.

After halfway, move one guy to the other end to help pull. Pulling up makes it hard to have more than two guys on the rope, anyway.

Don't forget lotsa rags to go with the lotsa lube.

If you try with two guys, you might need to pull one 90 off and tie the rope to something to give you more leverage - like a 2x4 and a fulcrum or maybe even a truck. It might go okay, but it might suck for many hours.

It would be nice to feed from the end closest to the most 90s. I think lubed cable slides around a 90 easier than a dry rope.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Advice Needed - 10/13/13 01:00 AM
You could put a conduit body somewhere along the way to break up the pull. Maybe an LB at the "change of direction" after you get up out of the ground.
Think about where you get the best place to work.
Posted By: BigB Re: Advice Needed - 10/13/13 07:07 PM
No conduit bodies before the meter are allowed by the POCO. I decided to go with 2.5" pipe.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Advice Needed - 10/13/13 07:33 PM
That's gonna be a jump on material price. Anything over 2" in size, thei cost goes up expotentially

Is there a way to use an ordinary come-along or winch of some type?
You can use a choker on the rope a what is called a French prusik. It works on the same principle as a choker but you use a small peice of rope. It's easier on the rope than a choker can be

The link is how to use a prusik. It's a variant of the one I use but it works and simple to use

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YxU5C_KrQ

With some type of winch or even with block and tackle one person can feed while one person pulls even with the biggest and longest pulls
Posted By: BigB Re: Advice Needed - 10/13/13 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
That's gonna be a jump on material price. Anything over 2" in size, thei cost goes up expotentially

Is there a way to use an ordinary come-along or winch of some type?
You can use a choker on the rope a what is called a French prusik. It works on the same principle as a choker but you use a small peice of rope. It's easier on the rope than a choker can be

The link is how to use a prusik. It's a variant of the one I use but it works and simple to use

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u0YxU5C_KrQ

With some type of winch or even with block and tackle one person can feed while one person pulls even with the biggest and longest pulls

Yes I have a come-along, a high lift jack and a boat winch and I have considered using one of them.

Thanks for the link
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Advice Needed - 10/14/13 02:33 PM
Sounds like a job calling for a lot of cable lube.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Advice Needed - 10/20/13 02:17 AM
Hi BigB,
I'm going out on a limb here, but instead of using one 90 degree bend, could you use 2 45° swept bends, to make the bends "easier"?
I'm not familiar with IMC fittings, but one thing I do know is aluminium is a real PITA to pull through conduit of any type.
My advice would be, if you are are in un-familiar territory, I would up-size your conduit, this will ensure that you don't run into problems with the pull.

I did my time with a guy that used to use the smallest conduit he was willing to quote, out on site, this made life a real nightmare, un-necessarily.
Take it from me, mate, bigger conduit makes the job SO much easier and less infuriating. grin
Posted By: Tesla Re: Advice Needed - 11/16/13 10:15 PM
Tuggers can be rented. Check with your tool factor.

If you were close by, I'd rent mine to you.
© ECN Electrical Forums