ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Tamper resistant outlets - 09/04/13 01:44 AM
What Code was tamper resistant outlets first required throughout the house?? thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper resistant outlets - 09/04/13 02:06 AM
2008 with changes in 2011
Posted By: sparkync Re: Tamper resistant outlets - 09/04/13 03:44 AM
Thanks John. I have a friend who started a house in 2011. He had already bought the insulation and is just now putting it in. The code has changed about the type insulation has to be put in a house, since 2011, but the inspector told him since he got his permit in 2011 before the changes, that he could use it what he had. He then started thinking about the tamper resistant outlets, whether he needed them or not. But I told him I was pretty sure it was before 2011 when it was required. Thanks
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper resistant outlets - 09/04/13 01:29 PM
NJ rules are basically the same regarding permit issue dates.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Tamper resistant outlets - 09/04/13 06:57 PM
Florida only enforces the code on the day the permit was stamped. That causes a long line at the desk on the last few days of a permit cycle wink
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Tamper resistant outlets - 09/05/13 02:13 AM
A little further...
NJ style....
Comments are taken on the 'new' NEC for a period of time (45-90 days)
Comments are reviewed, rejected, or accepted as amendments.

A period of time passes, and the 'new' NEC is adopted, with amendments, and entered into the State Register.

A 'drop dead' date (usually 3-6 months) is set, and on that date the 'new; NEC is mandatory.

Yes, there is a minor rush IF there are major changes.

In that confusion, ECs are required to do the 9 hour code change CEUs on the 'new' code. Still working under the 'current' code, and on 'Rehab' work, using one code back.

© ECN Electrical Forums