ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Capacitor meter - 05/24/13 12:34 AM
Anybody know just a simple meter that will test motor capacitors. I already have at least 2 meters, but neither one will check micro fareds? thanks
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Capacitor meter - 05/24/13 03:52 AM
I have a clamp like the HVAC guys use that does capacitors.
UEI DL250
You can also get a temperature probe for it

[Linked Image from tequipment.net]
Posted By: KJay Re: Capacitor meter - 05/24/13 06:15 PM
I have the older version of the cheapo Supco capacitor tester that I've used quite a bit over the years. I think it's probably the only piece of Supco test equipment that I would even consider owning. I used to use it often to test and verify new caps when I got a delivery, since some of the new junk caps that were made in Mexico and China were either flat dead or way off spec right out of the box. Once I switched to McMaster for my caps though, I didn't have any more problems like that since the ones I get from them are good quality and made in the USA.

Supco Cap Tester
Posted By: sparkync Re: Capacitor meter - 05/24/13 08:09 PM
KJay, thanks for the post. I went to the site you posted and seen the tester you was talking about. Although I didn't get that one, I seen another one that was cheaper and had all good reviews on it, so I decided to get that one. It is a "Newcason" testing from 20MF to 200pf. It had 9 reviews from HVAC persons. I started to get another cheap one, but this one looked better. I got it for $ 20.99. from Amazon. Hope it works right. Got interested in one when my son's a/c went out, and had a HVAC friend come by and check it. The capacitor was bad. I may not be able to go very far in the HVAC trade, but at least I maybe able to change a capacitor out if needed.
© ECN Electrical Forums