ECN Forum

seimans breaker / Bryant panel

Posted By: William

seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/12/13 10:04 PM

will a seimens breaker fit in a bryant panel

Posted By: gfretwell

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/12/13 10:28 PM

I imagine it "fits" OK the question is whether it is classified or listed on the label in the box.

I think the BR breakers from Cutler Hammer are the ones you can use. I seem to remember they bought Bryant (hence the BR) but keeping track of who bought whom is as hard as remembering which bank used to be which.
Posted By: NORCAL

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/13/13 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by William
will a seimens breaker fit in a bryant panel

Will it fit? Yes, but doubt it is UL classified for Bryant, use a Cutler-Hammer BR as they are the successor of Bryant/Westinghouse loadcenters.
Because of mergers of electrical equipment manufacturers it can be hard to know which breaker fits what panel.
Posted By: HotLine1

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/14/13 01:28 AM

You stole my thunder!! Comments heard over time by a few 'lectricians like ' has to be OK, it fits on the buss'; 'GE breakers fit a lot of panels, so my boss said....'; 'Murry, Bryant, Challenger, T&B, Crouse Hinds, heck they all look the same'.

The classic used to be the guys who field modified the various rejection tabs, or butched the plastic to get the buss to fit,

Posted By: Lostazhell

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/15/13 05:47 AM

Siemens/Murray are now what was Arrow Hart, Gould, ITE, Crouse Hinds, and IIRC, Sears "Homart" brand (I think was a relabeled Murray panel, someone correct me if I'm wrong) Cutler Hammer (or EATON as the newer breakers are now showing exclusively) took over Bryant, Westinghouse and one other brand I think..

I've always wondered why All the above manufacturers have designed their breakers to fit GE THQP panels with the t slot in the bottom. GE is the only company I've ever found where this would be needed
Posted By: Tesla

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/15/13 07:06 AM


There's an a n c i e n t bus out there... probably one of the very first to rack up circuit breakers... and it has the bussing rotated 90 degrees.

So, I suspect that you're looking at a legacy standard that's easy to fit into designs -- and which is off patent, to boot.

Posted By: mikesh

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/19/13 09:59 PM

There are breakers made by 1 manufacturer that are also approved as a replacement for breakers in other manufacturer panels. Unfortuneately I don't have a defined list as it is fairly extensive in the 15 and 20 amp sizes.

There are the legacy breakers too so Eaton covers westinghouse, nova, and Bryant panels.
Posted By: harold endean

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/20/13 01:22 PM


I thought that the breaker you are talking about is the Bryant BR type breakers. I think they were listed for many panels. The were the typical square black breaker that fits, Seimans, Bryant, GE, Square D home style.
Posted By: electure

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/20/13 02:24 PM

Cutler Hammer has their "Classified" series of circuit breakers, that are designed to replace the 1" width SqD Homeline, Crouse Hinds, GE, Siemens/Murray, and T&B breakers.

They also produce a 3/4" version, designed to replace the SqD QO series.

Note that they aren't UL listed, but UL Classified.

I think the BR is only listed for use in Cutler Hammer panels.


Posted By: EV607797

Re: seimans breaker / Bryant panel - 03/20/13 02:53 PM

They do say that they are UL listed at the bottom of page 4, but that seems to be a bit "buried", if you know what I mean. I'd think that they'd be boasting the word all over the place if this really was the case. They are going out of their way to be defensive, which to me is a case of 'thou dost protest too much'.
© 2020 ECN Electrical Forums