ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Hour meter?? - 01/13/03 10:57 PM
I have a customer that I wire his refrigerated storage building, the one I asked about on a different post, ( and by the way, it went good, inspection went fine the first time [Linked Image] But anyway he asked me to check into what it would take to wire "hour meters" on his two outdoor compressors, just to see how hard each compressor was working, in other words, to make sure one compressor wasn't doing all the work, and the other one doing nothing. There both controlled by a separate thermostat inside the freezer, but the freezer is only 40ft. long and 12ft. wide so he's thinking that maybe only one may do the job, especially in the cooler months. Anyone ever had any experience on this and know of some knowledgable sites that might point me in the right direction on prices etc.? It seems pretty simple, just run the feed to the time clock on the hour meter from each compressor. By the way, each compressor is 3 phase... Thanks for the input. Steve...
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hour meter?? - 01/13/03 11:44 PM
Steve:
A quick idea,
If you have an auxiliary contact (or can add one) on the starters you could get a simple 120 volt hour meter and wire that in. Aux contact closes, hour meter counts. WW Grainger has a few hour meters in the catalog.
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Hour meter?? - 01/24/03 11:26 PM
like hotline said is how we do it on all of the equipment in our machine shop cheap easy and quick.
Posted By: electure Re: Hour meter?? - 01/25/03 12:08 AM
Hot Line... How are you going to power their 120 hour meter from a 208 or 240 supply?
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Hour meter?? - 01/25/03 12:48 AM
you may have to install a seperate control transformer,but it depends on what voltage step down transformer they are using now.

i would think it's 24 or 110 volts.but i don't know what voltage they are using for control.no big deal if it's 24 volts. just pick up and encl,fuse holder,fuses and a transformer,oh,don't forget the hour meter too.check the starter you may have a spare n-o contact on it.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 04:34 AM
Electure:
My thought was the control circuit. I didn't lay out all the details in my post, just the quick, cheap solution. BTW, if the control circuit is 24 volts, there is an hour meter available for that voltage also.
John
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 05:45 AM
john...before i made my post,i look in my grainger book and did not see nothing on 24 volts a/c.only 10-80 volts dc and 110 volts a/c.on the flange mount hour meters
Posted By: JBD Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 02:03 PM
Redingtin Counter makes 24VAC hourmeters. They also make a battery powered unit (3 year life). http://www.redingtoncounters.com/

ATC (Automatic Timing and Controls) also offers 24V units. http://www.automatictiming.com/
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 03:08 PM
Gentlemen:
I stand humbly corrected!
WWG did have a 24vac, but it's discontinued.
Look on page 615, Cat. 393
2A543.....switch contact only, battery power for HM
Book price is $54.00
I should have checked the book before I wrote my reply.
Hopefully, the answers are usefull.
John
Posted By: sparkync Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. There is no 24 volts or 120 volt supply to these units. They are 3 phase 240 volt, but there is a weather proof sub panel next to them with 120 volts. I guess I would have to get a relay with a 240 volt coil and feed off the compressor to this coil, that when the compressor comes on, it would send power to pull this coil and pull it's contactor in, and energise the 120volts that I would have to feed through it, then it would supply the hour meter. It would be simpler if they make a 240 volt hour meter. Any one know if they do?? I pulled up one of the sites, and so far, don't see the information on the voltage. Any suggestions on some more sites?

Thanks Steve.....
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 09:53 PM
john...i guess it's time for me to get a new book.the book i was looking at did not have that one.thanks

sparkync..the link that jbd posted has a 240 volt hour meter.
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Hour meter?? - 01/27/03 10:06 PM
You could always use a current sensing relay on the compressor power feed, and use it to operate your hourmeter at whatever voltage you like. I have used this one with good results:
http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/ProductView.asp?ProdName=CR4395

I think Red Lion Controls makes an LCD hourmeter that runs off an internal battery (5-10 year life, IIRC), and requires only a contact closure for input. One of these with a current sensing relay might be just the ticket...
Posted By: jlhmaint Re: Hour meter?? - 01/28/03 02:54 AM
Thanks nj i hadn't thought of that either i have an application at work wear this will work perfect on a bridgeport we want to put a hr meter on. talk to the boss tomorrow about ordering one.
© ECN Electrical Forums