ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Generators - 11/24/12 05:59 PM
Since the storm came and went, I would like to ask a question. With the whole house generators, what do people see out there? Are the generators manufactures instructions calling for installing a ground rod at the new generator? Or no ground rod? Or are they leaving it up to the local AHJ?
Any thoughts/comments?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 11/24/12 06:09 PM
Is it installed as an SDS? That may affect the answer.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Generators - 11/24/12 08:20 PM
Typically, the instructions state ground the system per the NEC and local ordinances. It stands to reason since ground conditions vary from area to area. The local JHA determines how they are grounded

I saw a commercial from a loco poco and the flashed a resi transfer switch where all the neutrals were on the same bus. I contacted them and asking them about it and that's how they wanted wired
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 11/26/12 02:16 PM
Greg,

Most generators only break both hot legs in a resi type set up, so I wouldn't call it a SDS. So then a ground rod would not be needed, right?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 11/26/12 02:18 PM
Sparky,

All towns in NJ do not have a "Local" ordinance, We have to follow what the state adopts. For the most part the state of NJ will follow 95-99% of the NEC verbatim.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 11/26/12 07:05 PM
If the generator is not an SDS, the system grounding remains the same, using the service GES. The only way you would need a ground rod was if you called it a "structure" IMHO.

250.35 still requires an equipment bonding conductor sized to 250.102(C), which tosses you back to 250.66 based on the size of the ungrounded conductors to the generator.

This does bring up an interesting conundrum. The smallest EGC in 250.66 is 8ga (but no larger than the size of the ungrounded conductors in associated rules).

#10 cable, no problem, the EGC is #10. #8 cable is a problem tho since the EGC will usually be #10.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 12/02/12 05:23 PM
Greg,

If you were using a generator to supply tents at a fair or something like that, Then I can see the need for a ground rod. You would then be generating your own neutral terminal at the gen. itself. At this point, I would think that the EGC would have to be a #6 cu to 2-grounding electrodes 6' apart.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 12/02/12 05:52 PM

If you were using a generator to supply tents at a fair or something like that, Then I can see the need for a ground rod.

The funny thing about that idea is if you just have a portable generator running cord and plug loads, the NEC doesn't require a rod and grounding the neutral actually makes the installation more dangerous.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Generators - 12/03/12 01:29 AM
All the gens used at a golf tournament had 2 grd rods each bonded to the neutral buss at the main. These were 70KW to 2 MW units feeding everything from a 10x10 shade cover to 50kSF membrane structures.

We utilized some portable units, mostly for 120 volt power used while we were working. No ground rods for them.

I used a 6500W portable at my home for 18 days, grd from twistlock to my main panel. Backfed CB, LOTO on main CB.

Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Generators - 12/07/12 10:45 PM
If the generator is not connected as a SDS, then a ground rod is not required by the NEC. I read that some county's in Florida require ground rods as a local ordinance because of all the lightning.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 12/08/12 03:03 AM
There are no "county" rules in Florida and with a couple of exceptions the whole state is in the 2008 NEC unaltered by law. (the unified Florida building code
Posted By: shortcircuit Re: Generators - 12/08/12 01:02 PM
Thanks Greg. I thought I read that on a message board somewhere. So no ground rod required by the NEC unless it it set up as a SDS.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Generators - 12/08/12 06:20 PM
It may be in the imagination of some inspector but if it is not in the NEC, it is not Florida law.

The only 2 amendments I can think of is one requiring bonding of steel studs and one a proposal for lifting the GFCI requirement on 240v hard wired pool pumps.
Posted By: wewire2 Re: Generators - 12/08/12 09:21 PM
Just ran into this a couple weeks ago. 250.34 does not require a grounding electrode if the load is fed from receptacles mounted on the generator. How about if the load is cord is fed from the bolted lugs on the generator?
Bolted lugs do not fit the definition of a receptacle so
technically would a ground rod would be required?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 12/10/12 12:35 AM
At the generators are most of the neutrals tied to the grounding connection or are the separated in the generator?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Generators - 01/18/13 03:45 AM
Re-reading Soares book on grounding. If you are not breaking the neutral and you are using the homes grounding system, then the neutrals and grounds should be separate at the generator. Plus no ground rod.
© ECN Electrical Forums