ECN Forum
Posted By: schenimann calling in inspections - 08/22/12 01:20 AM
I had to call in an inspection this morning. Just curious what your local protocals are for getting an inspection. I'm not interested in bashing inspectors but seeing who is using the latest technology and who is in the dark ages.

I work in 3 jurisdictions and the inspections are as follows:

The county I live in. We only have county wide inspectors. I can call it in by 4:30 or email/fax it in by 7:30am morning of.

Adjoining county. I have to call and speak directly to the inspector between 7-9 morning of. No technology just have to take the time to do it. This is quite a hassle because it seems that I have peed it their corn flakes everytime I call.

Local city inspectors. I can call and leave message, fax, email. I don't have to speak to anybody, just leave a message at my leisure. I like it.

Just curious how the rest of you operate.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: calling in inspections - 08/22/12 03:15 AM
OK, here goes:
Permit number in hand, call the office. (Code enforcement)
8:00 to 4:30 Mon-Friday
Request your inspection type. (Rough/trench/etc)
Clerk will give you next available date. (Within 72 hrs)
Time btwn 8:00 - 2:30 Monday-Friday.
Person may call inspector before 8:00AM for a time window.
Clerk enters all info into computer system

No email, messages or scheduling by inspectors.

Emergency inspections are handled ASAP.

Average of 4500+ permits a year; 32 square miles; 110k pop.
Posted By: EV607797 Re: calling in inspections - 08/22/12 04:47 PM
Almost all of our jurisdictions here are now automated where we either make the request on line or via touch tone entries. I haven't actually had to speak with anyone in years except one time when the inspector called me from a job site where there was a question.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: calling in inspections - 08/22/12 05:17 PM
It is automated here and all the inspectors have laptops with Email. A lot of times you can make the correction, email a picture and get your sign off before close of business that day if it is that sort of thing.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: calling in inspections - 08/22/12 09:38 PM
Wow!! I'm in awe. Laptops? Email? (Mobile) On-Line scheduling? Pictures?

Am I working in 'Bedrock'?

Posted By: gfretwell Re: calling in inspections - 08/22/12 10:36 PM
They are really "uptown" here in the swamp. wink

The inspections are scheduled through a "chatty Cathy" using your touch tone phone.

When calling the automated system at 239-533-8997, you will get the following menu:
For general permitting information, press 7
To schedule an inspection, press 1
To cancel an inspection, press 2
To hear results of an inspection, press 3
To check plan review status, press 4
To attach a license to a permit, press 5
To receive a copy of a bldg permit Cert of Occupancy or Compliance by fax, press 6
To make a payment on a permit or to update your license, press the star key *
To speak with a Permit Representative, press 0

You can also look at your permit online to see all activity. They seem to get updated pretty close to real time from the laptop.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: calling in inspections - 08/23/12 12:09 AM
Greg:
1,2,4,7 & '0' are all handled by the clerical staff.
3 is by clerks or the inspectors, but not 'real time'.
4 is clerks, but it is frowned upon.
5 is only by hard copy at the counter or US Mail.
6 does not happen.
7 is check or money order at the counter, or via mail.

Transactions (fees) are check or money order only. NO cash, credit cards, debit cards, IOUs, etc.

'Bedrock'
Posted By: gfretwell Re: calling in inspections - 08/23/12 02:04 AM
Getting the permit in and approved is the hassle here. Lots of trips to lots of people who don't talk to each other with different procedures. (Zoning, health department, building department and the court clerk) Once you have the permit number you can do everything electronically and it goes as easy as you make it for the inspector.
My experience probably doesn't count but my wife built over 100 houses here and she says the same thing.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: calling in inspections - 08/23/12 01:31 PM
Communications between Departments here is IMHO "Good".
Engineering and Zoning are right across the hall, health is downstairs, and paper flows (and emails) fairly good.

Plan review is '20 business days', which we are trying hard to get back on track here.

I must say the quality of the submittals recently is 'sub-par', and I think Scott35 has comments toward that end.

Posted By: harold endean Re: calling in inspections - 09/08/12 02:37 PM
John,

Hear in north NJ, I follow almost all the same rules as you. The EC calls in the permit number and the TACO sets up the schedule. I have office hours in all towns where the public or EC can meet me and ask questions. The biggest difference with us is that in all my towns, I have set hours of inspections and they are usually with in a 2 hour window. That is just how it worked out with me and my schedule. Most EC's like that because they don't have to wait around all day waiting for me. In one of my towns, I also have early morning inspections. I can be out there from 7:30-8:30 AM and the people love that one. Both homeowners and EC's only have 1 hour to wait for me and then they can still get to work on time.
Posted By: harold endean Re: calling in inspections - 09/08/12 02:45 PM
Greg,

Wow you swamp people are high tech! smile In one of my towns, I have to enter in all of my tech sheet info. ( # of recpt., lights, switches, etc.) The the program will fee the electrical permit for the secretary lovingly called the TACO. (Technical Assistant to Construction Official) This way our Taco just spits out permits with fees, the the EC calls in for inspection, she can pull up the permit, schedule the date for inspection. Then spits out a copy of the permit for me to take on site. When I am done (pass or fail) I enter my results in the program. Now I can access this program from any computer. I would enter a pass or if it failed I would enter why it failed. Once all tardes pas inspection, this program allows the taco to print out a certificate which she would mail to the homeowner.

All my other towns, the taco does everything, and I jet get a paper copy of the permit. I turn it back to her after each inspection.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: calling in inspections - 09/08/12 11:29 PM
Harold:
OK, We use "Construction Manager (Mitchel Humphrey)" program. I fee all electric techs by hand after plan review, and enter 'Approved' on a Plan Review screen with the six digit Control Number. After Plumb, Fire, Bldg do the same (if part of the job) the folder goes to the girls. Next step is a summary sheet with the fees, which the CO reviews and signs for permit release. Payment made, each subcode gets one copy of their Tech card back. (Filed by Permit Number) each Subcode maintains his own paper files

Inspections are called into the office, and a print out of the daily inspections is handed to each subcode every afternoon. We pull the techs, setup a route, do the stops. Days end the insp results are entered into the computer system (Pass/Fail/Not Ready/Not Done?Canceled)

An 'average day" is 24 Bldg; 10 Fire; 20+Plumbing; & 24 Elec. That's each day of a five day week.

We had 4 girl office staff; one transferred out; no replacement yet. Two are Lic TACOs, one is Clerical. One does CO's, one does CAs, ALL answer the phones, handle the counter, file, issue, etc. We are on 3400+ permits for the year.

Posted By: harold endean Re: calling in inspections - 09/09/12 04:58 PM
John,

Right now in my 4 towns:
Town "A" I work there 20 hr a week. 12-1400 permits a year on average 15 to 20 a week.
Town "B" I work there 6 hr a week. 350-450 permits a year on average 8 to 12 a week.
Town "C" I work there 6 hr a week. 325-375 permits a year on average 4 to 12 a week.
Town "D" I work there 6 hr a week. 300-375 permits a year on average 4 to 12 a week.

A lot of the times the big fluctuation is due to flooding. Some of my towns are in a flood zone. In Town B last year we were up to 600 permits because of the spring flood and then Irene in the fall. Also most towns don't charge fees for flood damage.

Town "A" uses the state program, I think town B uses Mitchel Humphrey, town D uses Spacial Data(?) or something like that, and I don't know what town C even does. I just get hand written log sheets, and I turn them all back in.

I don't fee any permit, except with the state. I just enter in all the info and it will fee for me. Town "B" just give me printed out log sheets, and Towns C-D just give me hand written sheets.
© ECN Electrical Forums