ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy Self grounding receptacles. - 06/05/01 01:04 AM
An older home with metal boxes that don't have threaded grounding holes has both top & bottom cable clamps utilized. The grounds are twisted together, cut very short and are not connected to the box. I may be able to use crimp sleeves to install a ground pigtail. If I connect the pigtail to a self-grounding receptacle, will the grounded receptacle effectively ground the box, or does the concept of self-grounding receptacles only work the reverse way
(grounded boxes don't require pigtail)?
Posted By: sparky Re: Self grounding receptacles. - 06/05/01 01:29 AM
Redsy;
so your Q would be does the recp carry a ground to the box, as it would normally carry a ground from box to rec.

either way it goes thru the 6-32's , this may be pertinent to how it's worded...

i wish they were truley self grounding for those K&T jobs, but i guess that would be like wishin' for a self cleaning chicken
[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Self grounding receptacles. - 06/05/01 12:00 PM
In an application where there's no threaded hole for the ground screw or it's impractical to use the hole, I use ground clips.(Don't particularly like them, tho) I don't have the book here, but I think the ground to the box can't be dependent on the device. (said w/ my Crawfish net in hand and ready for action)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Self grounding receptacles. - 06/05/01 12:25 PM
Redsy,

That is a good question!

Would the self-grounding receptacle itself qualify as a "listed grounding device" as in 250-148(a)? I'm thinking that it would not because that is not it's sole purpose.

I think that Electures' grounding clips would be the best way out. (I don't like them either)

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Self grounding receptacles. - 06/07/01 12:23 AM
i think you guys nailed it with 250-148 & the clips, good job!

[Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums