ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill Addiss *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/06/03 10:37 PM
There's a newer version of this BB Software that I am told will give us a bit more flexibility with some things and may add some features that we do not have right now.

One main benefit would be in the Technical Reference area. Under the present software we cannot make all threads visble there all the time (without hacking the code) and if we "Archived" threads they could never be changed or re-activated. The new BB would let us post Reference material that could always be visible and would not expire or get pruned (deleted) when it is too old.

It will look a bit different, I'm not sure how much, or what else will change, but it should be better. We've had a newer 'upgrade' version on the shelf for a year or so already but have been hesitant to make the change just to have something newer. But recent revisions have added some features, such as described above, that I think we can really make use of.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-06-2003).]
Posted By: Roger Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/06/03 11:56 PM
Bill, I have been a little frustrated in the past trying to find things in the Tech area, so if this could be made easier I'm for it.

But then again change is scarry. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: sparky Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 01:00 AM
Nice to see some growth, thanks Bill [Linked Image]
Posted By: harold endean Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 03:13 AM
Bill,

I love this board and if the new software helps, then I am all for it. The worst thing that I can say/see is if you make the board to complex. By that I mean I was on another BB with Joe, and they changed their layout. It was so complex, that no one used it anymore. It is like a ghost ship over there. I think Joe, and Don know which BB I am talking about.

Harold
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 04:13 AM
To any Interested Parties:

If you go to the following address you can try out the latest (uncustomized version). You may or may not have to Register to try it out. I'd like to hear comments ....
http://www.ubbcentral.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?category=1
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 06:10 AM
Hmm,....

I'm not particularly fond of the look or all of the new features, but am unsure what things can be changed or options can be turned off. I've gotten used to the look that we have now. Maybe we'll have to set it up somewhere else to try it out before jumping into it. I think we can do that.

Bill
Posted By: Tom Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 01:49 PM
This could turn into a "who moved my cheese" thing.

As long as you can change it back if we hate it, I'll say let's give it a try.

Tom
Posted By: pauluk Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 01:57 PM
The point regarding the Tech Ref. area is a good one.

I'm not sure about the look of the new version either, but I suppose it's just because I've gotten used to ECN's current format. (But then I grew up with CBBS and FidoNet, so any of the new formats seem a little awkward to me at first [Linked Image])

I'll add my vote to try it, so long as we can transfer everything back to the current version if need be (i.e. data files will be recognized by the current version).
Posted By: CTwireman Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 04:49 PM
Hmmmm....the new format looks familiar. Is this the one that Mylocal3.com is using? The overuse of smilies and graphics there drove me nuts. I like the current format here now, but change is inevitable sometimes.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/07/03 05:07 PM
I don't know if it could be changed back or not. I'll do some more investigation on that for sure. In the meantime we've set the default to "show all topics" which may suffice for right now. I don't know if this change affects anything, such as page loading times or not.

When you enter a Category if you look down at the Bottom you will see links to pages containing all the available threads @ 40 per page. If anyone really wishes to only see the last 30 days or 100 days etc. they can set that in their preferences. If you look in the Tech Reference area now you should see all topics listed now. Do you think this would be an adequate solution?

Bill
Posted By: harold endean Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 01:06 AM
Bill,

It looks a lot like that other BB I was talking about. It looks real busy, and the other BB had way too many catagories. No one is using right now. Do you know which BB I am refering to? This board looks less cluttered if you ask me.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 01:44 AM
Harold,

Yes, I know what you are talking about. I used to frequent that board too. I noticed a sharp decrease in participation when they changed from this type of format. I certainly do not want to have that happen here.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 05:20 AM
Sounds reasonably OK, Bill.
Bring it on! [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 12:23 PM
I kinda like it as it is. It's (IMHO) easier to read than the other format, and I don't care much for all the extra graphics.
The other BB that now has red and yellow print went from being pretty active to having only a post every couple of days or so.
Posted By: Gwz Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 12:48 PM
That other BB looks "TOO BUSY" for me.

I prefer this format.
Posted By: Belgian Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 01:58 PM
I find the actual format way much better! Much cleare to read, each users reply distinguished by dark or light grey background, less cluttered. To my opinion it would be a pity to change for a few extras.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/08/03 05:54 PM
Bill,

A number of the reservations members have stated above seem to do with the screen appearance (as I see it on my monitor as I write this).

I'm guessing that the page I am writing on can be, essentially, duplicated in the upgraded BBS if you keep the ECN banner items at the top of each page and at the left hand column. This "loss of screen space", especially on the left side of the screen, makes for a shorter sentence (for those viewing at "full screen" or at higher monitor resolutions), and, IMHO, contributes to the lower clutter-factor.

I note that the current BBS we are using has the alternating grey and light grey that the updated software displays at your link to UBBCentral.

I wonder if the format concerns arise from the not quite apple to apple comparison on the UBBCentral demo to what we are currently conversing on?

Al

P.S. I like the additional features that I've seen at UBBCentral, and I feel that the tech section capability is compelling.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 02:23 AM
Haven't seen what the Version 6.xx UBB looks like (anyone have links?), but like many others, I have grown use to the current Version 5.7xx appearance and functions.

I would guess a simple method of getting the user settings issue at the Tech Reference section could be a "Disclaimer Message" embedded on that forum's main page - similar to what Joe has embedded to the uppermost part of the "Violations Photos Forum".
The message could explain view settings and such to the users.

Along with that, maybe another "Notes Link", like the one which opens the users settings thread, could be placed on the tech reference main page. This could open the "Menu For Technical Reference Section" thread.

Best work-arounds I can come up with so far!

After trolling the UBB forum (which is linked in this thread), it seems like an upgrade to version 6.xx will require quite some effort by Bill. Also, it appears to be close to impossible to downgrade back to the original version.

Must say, I am in favor of remaining with this version until an upgrade is absolutely required all around (function wise and support wise).

P.S. as to that "Other Forum" mentioned by a few, can someone send me a link to this forum, or E-mail me the forum's name???

TIA

Scott s.e.t.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 02:56 AM
Scott,

The latest version can be seen and tried at: http://www.ubbcentral.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?category=1

As far as the effort involved goes, that's not the issue. Just trying to do what is best. Did you look at the Tech. Ref area? It's default is set to show all topics.

Can everyone, Anyone see that?

Bill
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 04:27 AM
Bill,

I see two pages displayed in the Tech Section. The oldest entry is 7/15/01
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 04:33 AM
Al,

Thanks, So, that's better, right? It looks like the General area has over 50 pages. Does everyone see that?

Bill
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 04:50 AM
57 pages going back to 10/16/2000.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 05:22 AM
Bill,
Does the new forum have "Smilies", like the old one?.
Just wondering. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 05:47 AM
Trumpy,

Yes, it's got Smileys too. It's looking like the Consensus is to stay with this version for now though. [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: walrus Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 12:37 PM
I post all the time on a BB that uses a later version of UBB than this board does but not as new as the one Bill posted a link for. One feature I think all would enjoy is the ability to easily quote another poster within your post. Just click the post you want to reply to and the posters name and his original text will appear in your new post. Very nice feature that makes for getting your point across easier, My 2 cents [Linked Image]

As far as smilies go, the newer version has them at the side, you just have to click on them and in your post they go:P
Posted By: pauluk Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 01:40 PM
I think setting the default to "show all topics" is probably a good compromise for now Bill.

I've looked at those other links again, and I have to agree with some of the other comments that they do look less clean and more cluttered than ECN's present format.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 04:35 PM
Walrus,

The Quote Feature is available with this version too, but it was turned off because it seemed to be used too much. People were quoting Multparagraph posts and including Pictures and it was just making threads too long, slow-loading and more dificult to follow. It would have been much better if it allowed you to just select, say an individual sentence and quote that, but it would do the whole thing by default and that was not good.

To All,

BTW, If anyone would like to know how to quote something the instructions are at the *UBB Code is ON Link to the left of the Box where you type your replies into. The Smiles Legend is also there that lets you put in these Guys: [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] etc. If you see something that you would like to do such as Italics, Bold Lettering etc. you can see how it was done by clicking the edit button ( [Linked Image] ) above that particular post and you can see how it was done. Don't worry, you cannot edit or change someone elses' post without knowing their password.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-09-2003).]
Posted By: Scotts Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 04:41 PM
Bill,

Thanks for the tips on how to edit the text. i always wondered how to do that. [Linked Image]

Scott
Posted By: Belgian Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 06:22 PM
If we are anyway talking about improvements, I would have appreciated if there would be a simpler way to add a picture to a message. e.g just by uploading it?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 06:54 PM
Belgian,

I suppose that would be easier, but it is not a standard Feature of this BB Software. And, frankly, that may hurt us if things were that easy because there would be no control at all over what is posted here and if it is appropriate material or not. Also, with many users still on a slower dialup connection, speed is also important. Pictures usually have to be edited and compressed somewhat before they are really suitable for us here. I've been sent Pictures that are close to 10M in size and if posted as is it could take almost an Hour to display for someone with a 28.8 Modem connection. An extreme, for sure, but even much smaller pictures posted in the same thread can really slow things down. And, many pictures as taken are really too Dark or Blurry to be of much use. They can usually be improved a bit if necessary to present a little better.

If you, or anyone else has any pictures they would like to submit, Please Email them to me along with a description or comments and I will get it posted. Jpg or Jpeg format is preferred, but we can work with others. If you just want it inserted into a particular thread to help you better make a point, we can do that too, just include a specific location.

Bill
Bill@Electrical-Contractor.net
Posted By: walrus Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 06:57 PM
Bill

I agree that at times quoting a complete post takes alot of space but I go into the quote and delete everything that doesn't pertain to the point I'm trying to make or get explained. But you are right that some folks don't do that and stuff gets dragged out.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/09/03 07:13 PM
Walrus,

Agreed, it has it's benefits. But some are not proficient enough, or in too much of a hurry to delete the unnecessary text (or images) as you describe.

You can always use the Quote Tags to accomplish the same thing:

[Linked Image]
would look like:
This is what I want to Quote with no spaces at beginning or end

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-10-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: *** New ECN Forum *** - 01/10/03 05:00 AM
No worries Bill,
I have got use to this format anyway, and I think that it works pretty well.
It really doesn't bother me either way,
now, how's that for apathy. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums