ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 01:32 AM
I have a customer whose bath is approx. 200 sq. ft. I've found just a fan that's got 200 cfms and one that's got 300 cfms, but can't find one with a light. I want to oversize it a little because the house belongs to a doctor and he is having his whole bedroom and bath renovated, because he is concerned with mold etc. Ceiling is kinda full and the contractor wants a fan with a light. Any ideas beside QT200 or QT300? ( Nutone brand without a light) I've looked on the web and am still looking but nothing yet. Thanks, Steve
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 01:55 AM
Try Panasonic fan combo units.

www.panasonic.com

They are quiet, have a lot of available options, but $$$.

Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 02:26 AM
John, I went on their site and still don't see one with over 130 cfm. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
Thanks again, Steve
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 02:33 AM
You may have to 'downsize' the CFM to get a light/fan combo. Laws of physics dictate how much air can move thru a fan housing, puting a light in reduces the available sq inches of intake area.

Fantek is another mfg, as well as Broan. Maybe try a google there.

Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 03:01 AM
Thanks John. I thought I had it made with just using the fan. The the "contractors" (couple of women actually frown )
are the ones that changed their minds to wanting a light in it not the homeowner. They actually have plenty, if not too much light in there now:(
I'll try Fantek just in case. Thanks

BTW, have you or anyone else ever seen any 6" flexible duct?? I've only used 3 and 4". Thanks again
Posted By: KJay Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 04:07 AM
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an all in one fan/light unit with that high of a CFM rating. What about maybe using a remote fan with the lights built in the vent grilles?
This dual grille unit is rated for to 270 CFM.
FanTech

If the customer is concerned with heat loss from that amount of air being vented outside, maybe a small HRV unit could be included.
The FanTechs I installed used 6-inch insulated flex duct. You should be able to get it from the same supplier you get the fan from.
Posted By: Merlin Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/01/12 06:15 AM
You also consider installing two seperate fans. I recently ran into a similar situation. I ended up installing two seperate fans and put them on the same switch. They are vented totally seperate as well.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/04/12 07:54 PM
KJay, thanks for the input on FanTech inline fans. That is the option I went with. The customer had a jecuzzi and shower next to each other, with the wall not going all the way to the ceiling. I'm deciding on putting the grill between the shower and jecuzzi, and the motor goes in the attic. Seems like the only real option I had due to limited ceiling space. The grille is UL listed for wet locations. BTW, we gave up on the idea of a light in it, even though Fantech had one with a halogen light. I was undecided whether it would give enough light in the shower, so I kept the 6" recess can that was already there. Thanks again. Steve..
Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/11/12 02:04 AM
Now that I've recieved my Fan Tech PB190 fan, I have questions about the mounting bracket. Anyone ever mounted one of these before? The brackett has holes where self tapping screws screw directly into the fan housing. Only question is: it looks like the screws will hit the propeller
on the motor. I called the company I bought it from, and all he could tell me was he hasn't had any calls about it giving problems. Well that's good, but I don't want to be the first to mess up the propeller after paying $ 250.00 total for this fan. Seems like a poor mounting brackett for the motor. Maybe I'm missing something. I've left a message at the manufacture, but probably be next week before they get back with me. Needed an answer now if possible. Anyone ever mounted one like this? Thanks for the input.. Steve..
Posted By: KJay Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/11/12 02:30 AM
All the Fantechs I‘ve installed mounted that way, even the little 4-inch ones. The screws are only like a 1/2-inch long, so don’t interfere with the blade. There should be an arrow on the housing indicating the direction of flow, so I usually mount the L-bracket on the bottom of the fan facing down so I can easily get at the holes to fasten it to the side of a joist afterward.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/11/12 02:50 AM
Thanks KJay. I was just a little concerned. I can stick my finger into the housing and feel where the top of the blade is, and it looks like it's just 1/4 inch from where the screw will go in at, but if you've put them in like that and the instructions say that's the way to go, I guess I'll try it. I'll be holding my breath as I screw it in though:) Thanks again, Steve..
Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/14/12 08:35 PM
Update on the mounting of the FanTech fan motor. DO NOT SCREW INTO THE HOLES THAT THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO USE. Within a few minutes of a call to come and install the motor, I recieved a call from the FanTech, and informed me NOT to screw into the fan where the instuctions say. That is WILL seize up the fan wheel if done. Thankfully they called me in time. I made new holes in the brackett and bored my holes further out into the motor housing away from the fan wheel. I was almost certain to ruin the wheel if I would have gone ahead with Plan A. Maybe my fan was different from Kjay's, don't know, but I'm glad I changed my plan.
Posted By: KJay Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/14/12 09:49 PM
I think the first question is why are they sending out fans with a mounting bracket that is not designed to be used on them?
Something must have been changed, because I’ve installed several of those larger remote kits and at least a dozen of their smaller 4-inch units over the years and never had any issues with the mounting screws contacting the blade on any of them. Hard to believe they can mess up something as simple as stamped steel L-bracket, but apparently they can.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Bath fan with light for large bath - 02/15/12 04:52 PM
Kjay, I agree. If I had not already purchased the fan, I might question the integrity of the company. I just hope the fan after installed meets my expectations. I could see where the mounting brackett could be made a little different so no "field fabricating" would be necessary. I may get back in touch with them and voice my opinion. Looks like I will still have to use some hanging strap to help support it in the attic. I questioned the strength of support after having to move the screws out further on the motor, but the tech "reasurred" me that it would be sufficient. After mounting it like he said, it is a little unstable, and when I go back I intend on supporting it better. Maybe they actually sent the wrong brackett with mine, I don't know. Live and learn I guess. Thanks for your input. Steve..
© ECN Electrical Forums