ECN Forum
Posted By: Happi_Man DBE/WBE - 01/06/03 02:34 PM
Anyone here registered as a DBE or WBE? If so, where and with whom?

Do you register with individual municipalities? Contractors?
Posted By: Nick Re: DBE/WBE - 01/07/03 04:07 AM
I believe you register with individual municipalities. The company I work for is a registered WBE. Pretty rare for a contractor ranked in the top 20 nationally.(By gross income) I am working with the estimators in the shop this week so I will ask tomorrow and post back. They know all about this stuff because it came up on another bid I helped with last month.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: DBE/WBE - 01/07/03 06:16 AM
I'm guessing WBE is Woman-owned Business Enterprise.

Is DBE a Disbled Business Enterprise?
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: DBE/WBE - 01/07/03 12:27 PM
DBE is Disadvantaged Business Enterprise. I'm not sure exactly what qualifies one to be a DBE but in the engineering world it usually has to do with the size of your company and your backlog of jobs.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: DBE/WBE - 01/07/03 11:40 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I've heard the term WMBE, "woman/minority business enterprise."
Posted By: Nick Re: DBE/WBE - 01/09/03 03:31 AM
Well two days and things were too busy to chat about this stuff. However, I did find this. The company I work for is registered in the City of Los Angeles as a WBE. I have a letter here from the City of San Diego honoring that certification. The City of LA certification is pursuant the provisions of the Department of Transportation rules and regulations 49 CFR, part 26 and the City of Los Angeles Bureau of Contract Administration, Office of Contract Compliance. It’s Valid for three years at which time you have to be re certified. The same letter disqualifies us for DBE certification based on exceeding the Federal size standard of $11.5 million gross receipts averaged over the last three years. What the other qualifications are, I do not know. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Happi_Man Re: DBE/WBE - 01/10/03 01:18 AM
Thanks Nick - as I suspected...probably a municipality by municipality thing. The good thing is I think I might qualify if based on company size and annual income...
© ECN Electrical Forums