ECN Forum
Posted By: rowd Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 09:22 PM
I've got four new service upgrades to do in the next two weeks. The ground is frozen. Any good ideas on driving the ground rod past the freeze point?
Posted By: JuddsAirco Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 09:54 PM
You better be either a really good shot with a sledge hammer or use a simple fence post driver.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 10:04 PM
When I was in business, I had an electric demolition hammer to drive the ground rods into the soil. If the ground was frozen, we would use a hammer drill to get through the frost line, then drive the rod down. Here in northern NJ the frost can get as deep as 36". We had some long hammer drill bits. [Linked Image]
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 10:13 PM
rowd...i use my hilti drill to install all my ground rods.(no more sledge hammer.)

or you try to a drill a pilot hole and dump some antifreeze down the hole.
Posted By: sparky Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 11:22 PM
well the anti-F's a new on on me lighthouse.....
Posted By: gramps Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 11:28 PM
everybody knows this is the best time of year for driving ground rods! the frozen ground is good for keeping the rods from going in TOO FAR!...lol!.... [Linked Image]

seriously, we have a driving attachment for our hilti that works pretty good....also, i've used an auger bit and extension before, then pour a little antifreeze, or even warm "water", down the hole............... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Roger Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/04/03 11:55 PM
To all that use their roto hammers or demolition hammers to drive ground rods, do like gramps says and use an attachment. Driving the rod directly in your tool may not ever cause a problem, but, when it does, (I know from experience) it cost to repair the head.

Roger
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/05/03 04:37 AM
lighthouse, mate,welcome to ECN.
What a huge idea that is, best I've heard yet,what sort of tip do you use for this?.
How prevalent is the Hilti in the US?, they are pretty big over here(NZ), for the serious contractors, we have Core-bits and all sorts of other attachments, but none to drive an Earth Rod.
Was the Hilti, an American invention?, just curious?, one thing I must say I'm glad that someone invented it.
It makes life so easy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/05/03 05:06 AM
"Any good ideas on driving the ground rod past the freeze point?"

Have your apprentice drive them!

GJ
Posted By: stamcon Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/05/03 06:08 AM
Trumpy, here are links for Hilti. The first is for company history links and the others are for ground rod drivers.
* http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/company2/comp2_mstones.jsp
* http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-10193
* http://www.hilti.com/holcom/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-9420
Posted By: lighthouse Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/05/03 06:40 AM
stamconth...thanks for posting the links.

Trumpy..thank for the welcome.if you pick up the hilti make sure you pick up the attachment like gramps said.i myself do not have the attachment.and will pay later for sure.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/06/03 06:01 AM
Lighthouse,
Onya mate, advice heeded.
The Hilti is the best drill, I have ever used.
Masonry work is never a problem with one of these, but most of the time, all we use this versatile drill for, is drilling holes for Rawlplugs and Dyna-bolts, and the odd bit of chipping work. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pearlfish Re: Ground Rods in Winter - 01/06/03 03:30 PM
If you have a bench grinder available. I always grind the blunt rounded end that the rods come with to a point. We have a lot of clay in our soil here, and I feel that it pushes through easier. I don't know if it helps or not, but I've convinced myself that it does.
© ECN Electrical Forums