ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snow storm - 10/30/11 07:12 PM
How bad did anyone get hit with this early snow storm? In Northern NJ where I am, trees are down all over, power lines are down, I have no power. I lost my power Sat. around 2:00, thank goodness I bought a brand new generator since I lost mine during hurricane Irene. My generator is just a plug in, but that is good enough. I got a big one that runs 45 amps. @ 240 volt. This is just what this area needed. We are just getting back on our feet from Irene. Good luck to everyone.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Snow storm - 10/30/11 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Harold. We are having the warmest Indian Summer I can remember. The trees are only just starting the fall and we are still picking raspberries and strawberries in our garden.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Snow storm - 10/30/11 08:39 PM
Your cold front got down to us too. It was 70 when I woke up brrr!

77 now.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Snow storm - 10/30/11 09:28 PM
Just a dusting here on LI. It was gone as soon as the sun hit it.

Bill
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 10/31/11 12:00 AM
Car & truck are ice encrusted this AM; 38 degrees, windy & clear sky.

Brrrr at 70? That's funny Greg!!

Indian summer?? Not this year here. Seems like we are shifting to two seasons!

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Snow storm - 10/31/11 03:00 AM
I am actually OK down to about 65 but I don't wear a lot of clothes, snow doesn't really scare me.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/colorado/Greg%20snow%20tunnel.jpg

My wife, on the other, hand bundles up like an Eskimo when it is much below 80.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/new_england/Florida%20girl.jpg
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snow storm - 10/31/11 02:32 PM
Greg,

Like you did with your lemons, please send some of your sunshine up north, we can use it. At last total here, we have 10" of snow in my back yard ( elv 600-650' ASL) while at work (only 300' ASL about 5 miles away) they only have 3-4" of snow. When I woke up ( and before I started generator) the temp was 23 deg F. It is suppose to go up to 40 deg today and up to 50-55 deg the rest of the week. I just have to wait for the POCO to get here and get power back on.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Snow storm - 10/31/11 04:09 PM
Parts of my town lost power and are still dead. A tree limb tried to knock down the lines across the street from my place, but the lines stayed up. We have that diamond pattern arrangement with the insulators, about 4 of them between polwes, of 3 phase distribution, 13.8KV I think. The insulation on the wires must be pretty good, they are bunched together at the crotch of a branch of that tree limb. Called the police about it, figuring it was just a matter of a few minutes before the lines would snap and cause a hazard, but they must have been quite busy as they took a while to take a look. It's still like that now, I suppose once the POCO has everyone back on they'll clean it up..
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 10/31/11 06:38 PM
Heard the Gov this AM say 375+k people without power, and it may be Friday before all are restored.

Happy trick or treat!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 11/03/11 02:23 AM
JCP&L had 130k+ people without power early evening tally. Some not expected to have restoration until this weekend! PSE&G is fairing much better I hear.

I have to add that JCP&L has a lot of rural territory in the upper part of the state and a tough job ahead of them.

I'm not aware of any issues down here in Ocean County.

Twp I work in has areas that look like a tornado went thru. The DPW guys will be chipping trees for a long time.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snow storm - 11/04/11 04:39 AM
John,

Just got my power back on today around 3:00 pm. My son who also lives in town but on the opposite side of me, still does not have power, but they think they will get it on by midnight. I also talked with a few of the insiders of JCP&L and they told me that I had better make sure that I have a lot of gas for my generator.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 11/04/11 03:26 PM
Harold:
JC is getting a lot of heat!! Yesterday AM (Thurs) I saw at leats 12 trucks from a POCO in Ohio, hustling north on the GSP in Monmouth County.

I've been under the arm of my guardian angels power wise at home. Radio this AM said 50% of the remaining 5% will be restored this weekend.

Not to jinx myself, but it may be time for another gen for the house.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Snow storm - 11/04/11 05:50 PM
Buying a generator is the best way to insure the power will not go out ... until your generator sits around so long that it won't start.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 11/04/11 07:14 PM
Just like a snow blower!! Except last winter that got a workout & a half!!

Back to the gen...my old one is getting tired, both the internal combustion engine, muffler & gen output.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Snow storm - 11/04/11 09:24 PM
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member-
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds –
November!

frown
Thomas Hood, 1844
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 12:37 AM
Homerun of the week! Processed nine (9) resi gen/transfer switch/subpanel permits today. One contractor, one Twp., nine jobs.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 01:53 AM
I guess I should call my niece. She is a Generac rep. I bet she is busy too. wink
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 02:11 AM
Just had a friend who works for a custom home builder ($1M+) who is looking for a gen source. My first question...what's up with your EC?? Response was...he has no source! (?)

Suggested to try the local Kohler Distributor. What is your nieces area??
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 02:16 AM
She is in Maryland but I don't know what the whole area is.
Posted By: mikethebull Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 03:59 AM
In SE New England we got 2 in. of snow . But Worcester, Ma. got 24 inches and as of today is still two weeks without power.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 04:13 PM
John,

My son just got his power back on Yesterday after 4:00PM. smile There are still people in the area with no power though, you can hears those gens running at night. I was going to give my son my old Homlight (?) gen, since I got a new one. I was just getting it fixed. Got the call yesterday that it is beyond repair. I already have another gen on order and it should be in by next week. I hope.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Snow storm - 11/05/11 04:22 PM
John,

Yesterday the town administer calls me into his office. ( I wondered what I did wrong) he told me he got an E-mail from the POCO. It seems that they sent me a list of 20+ people in town that have "Problems" with their services. They wanted us to know that the POCO might not hook their service back up and that these resi's might need an EC and permits. So the Admin. gets nervous and wants me to write letters and deliver them to these houses and to be "Proactive" with our citizens.

I told him OK, but I wanted to go out and survey the houses in question. I thought that if we give out these letters the people would be very mad at us AND the POCO. I split the list with another inspector (not electric) to see what is up. I go flying around the neighbor hood and found out that of the 10 houses I had, all 10 had power. There were some small problems, like loose service cable, 1 house had 2 services, house and garage. House was good and garage had no power. 1 service was energized but laying on ground with caution tape all around it. 1 sevice was being fixed as I pulled up to sight.

Went back and told our Admin. that we only have to send out a few letters, most of the houses were OK and I thought that the POCO was being too overly cautious. I can only guess that I am going to get a lot of phone calls on Monday when I go into the office. I am also on call this weekend in case they need me.
© ECN Electrical Forums