ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky CEU's - 06/03/01 10:24 AM
well it was bound to happen someyear....

i just sent my renewal in for my Mass ticket, the latest electrical literature they also enclosed states that for the next code cycle 20 hrs of CEU will be required.

so all those 15 hr code updates will now have to change, or reciprocity will

[Linked Image]

are there more CEU's being asked for elsewhere ??????
Posted By: electure Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 01:11 PM
Sparky,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what does CEU stand for?
Posted By: sparky Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 02:48 PM
oops, sorry!
Continuing Education Units

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 06-03-2001).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 02:59 PM
Phila. PA only requires renewal fees. However ,NJ requires retesting every 3 yrs. So, all in all , CEUs might not be that difficult of a requirement. I imagine that most code programs and such that don't offer CEUs will begin to, and those that do may consider upping the ante to reflect State requirements. Doing so would be a keen marketing strategy.
Posted By: electure Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 03:12 PM
Thanks, I realized what a CEU was while @ the grocery store.
** Do you suppose they'd accept 2000 hrs. on the Joe Tedesco BB as an alternative??(haha)**
Honestly, I think the idea of Continuing Education is a great one. Old guys like me tend to get "locked in & lazy" sometimes. Without some form of updating yourself, you end up falling prey to being corrected of changes as I have by 2yr apprentices. CA government as of yet doesn't require any education at all.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 05:27 PM
Sparky,

I think that'd be 'units' not credits?

Don't need them here yet, but next county over does.

Maybe we'll give credits here for every topic someone can take to flames and not have to recant something? [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 06-03-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: CEU's - 06/03/01 11:05 PM
Bill,
yes they are, sorry, the kids were killing the cat while i was typing, very distracting.
( i'll edit...)

CEU's are required in Mass, NH, VT .

There are courses offered thru the local IAEI chapter, VECA ( Vermont electrical contractors assoc.) Meca ( ditto), as well as quite a few colledges and private tutors.

Just about all of these updates are 15 hrs, and the common complaint being not enough time to go over the changes, as the amount of such obviously has snowballed every cycle.

So to read the latest from Mass made me wonder if this would be the 'tip' of the iceberg.

Ok Bill...that's # 6 !
Posted By: wayne Re: CEU's - 06/04/01 12:17 AM
Sparky, here in NC they changed it from 6 HRS CEC to 8 HRS CEU now. Which now most of us can either take a course on line with Jade Electric or Mike Holt just to name a few, to get our credit. Of course here they have doubled our license fee. At least I know they did for limited classification. The CEC is a good thing for it does keep us informed of most code changes.
D:
Wayne
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: CEU's - 06/04/01 01:45 AM
Wayne,

You mention CEC and CEU what is the difference?

Bill
Posted By: Mike Re: CEU's - 06/04/01 04:26 PM
Here in Washington state, 24 hrs. of CEUs is required to get a journeyman electrician's license renewed every three years.
Posted By: Matt M Re: CEU's - 06/05/01 10:36 PM
Minnesota requires 16 hours minimum of continuing education by a state certified instructor for renewal every two years, and I have heard rumor that they are discussing the possibility of upping it to 24 hours.

Other states that I know also require CEUs are North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, and I believe Wyoming. There are more of course, but I'm not sure which ones.

My company began hiring a private instructor for all of our electricians (licensed and unlicensed). I can't begin to tell you how much good has come out of it. The class that this instructor teaches can be tailored to the employers needs, and is valuable beyond imagination. He uses a lot of visual instruction, and keeps the entire class involved and on the edge of their chairs. The instructor is one of the very few "fulltime" code instructors in the USA, and is possibly THE most knowledgeable person of the NEC that I have ever met. You can view his website at www.electricode.com

I attended one other class that was almost worthless, it was taught by a state electrical inspector. It was hard to stay awake after the first five minutes. So I feel that if you can get a good instructor, CEUs are invaluable, but a dry boring one makes for a waste of time.

Matt
Posted By: sparky Re: CEU's - 06/06/01 09:38 AM
Matt;
so true, my last update was the class simply taking turns reading each change in the Ron P. O'Riley illustrated book. this was excrucatingly dry.

of interest is what states will accept for a renewal, case in point-i had taken a grounding course that was acceptable in one state but not another.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: CEU's - 06/06/01 11:26 AM
Sparky,

I'm curious, did your notification spell out exactly what your 20 hrs had to be on?

I was wondering if the extra hours could have something to do with the new definition of "Qualified Person" and required safety training.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: CEU's - 06/06/01 09:49 PM
Bill;
It's not definined in the Mass. info.

did i say 20, it's 21 hrs,

it further states; the Journeyman must now complete 600 hrs, the Master an additional 150 hrs of ed requirements.

on the bright side, i suppose the powers that be intend on keeping us 'qualified'

( as undefined as the term may be)

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 06-06-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums