ECN Forum
Posted By: wire_twister Cable Bender - 07/28/11 02:20 AM
Has anybody had any experience with using a cable bender? I am looking at the Greenlee 796 or 800, one is ratchet, other is hydraulic. Ever used one? How did it work for you? Got a job coming up with some runs of 500mcm in cans that could(should) be bigger. Not as young as I used to be, and do not want to go home feeling like I was hit by a train at the end of the day.
Posted By: twh Re: Cable Bender - 07/28/11 04:47 AM
The Greenlee 796 handles are hard to get into a cabinet and the bends can end up with dog-legs. Sometimes I thought it was a great tool and other times I wished I hadn't used it.

The Rack-A-Tiers Bend All is a handy tool, that doesn't cost much. I only used it once, but it did the job. I wonder if two Bend Alls equal one Greenlee 796.

My favorites are an eye bolt for services and a two foot piece of pipe that will fit over the end of the cable.

Maybe there isn't a perfect tool for all situations. You might need everything you can find, including a rubber mallet and a couple 2x4 studs.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cable Bender - 07/28/11 08:00 PM
I've used the manual handle benders in the past, they were good for jobs that they could be used on.

The ratchet unit looks interesting, but again may be to 'big' for some jobs.

I've also used a short length of RGC (3/4 & 1") when I was desperate without any ill effects to the conductors.

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Cable Bender - 07/29/11 12:23 AM
The only wire benders I ever used besides Lefty and Rosy was a ratchet strap on some persistant 500 kcmils in a weatherhead. I won whistle
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Cable Bender - 07/29/11 01:08 AM
The guys I watched install the 750MCM in a big computer room used the pipe trick John described. I had a piece of that 750 on my desk for years. I had never seen wire that big before.
I always wondered why they didn't use a parallel run of 250s but it wasn't my job.
That was a pretty tough "tug" too. I am not sure how far it was but it was from the basement below and not right under it.
They had two guys pushing and two guys pulling through a 4" pipe. (3 phases and an EGC) When I left they were talking about trying to find a come along.
I am still not sure they didn't open the pipe in the basement and pull it in two tugs then piecing it back together. wink

Posted By: twh Re: Cable Bender - 07/29/11 03:10 AM
I am still not sure they didn't open the pipe in the basement and pull it in two tugs then piecing it back together.
They'd still be trying to get the pipes back together. Imagine the size of loop they would need to feed the cable into the second pipe.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Cable Bender - 07/29/11 03:22 AM
They needed a tugger, even I have one of those, one of the first expensive tools I bought. Work hard or work smart, I have made pulls like that and the tugger didnt even sweat!! The runs of 500 I have to pull will be 220 feet long with 4 500mcm conductors( full size neutral at customers request) from a pad mount to a main breaker, the tugger will be a much loved part of that job.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cable Bender - 07/29/11 01:20 PM
Amen to using a tugger!!

That was also the first 'big' item on my list after using rental units that had the occasional problems, other than the time to pick up & return.

Longest continuous pull was 1425' of 750KCmil Al., at a country club.

Posted By: KJay Re: Cable Bender - 07/30/11 04:30 PM
I have two different size sets of the Klein cable benders that I use occasionally. They sort of resemble the eyebolt that TWH mentioned, except they can be slipped on or off the cable at any point. They will work, but of course, it is going to be all on you and how much upper body strength and determination you have. Sometimes it feels like you’re wrestling a bear. smile

Klein Cable Benders
Posted By: sparky Re: Cable Bender - 08/04/11 12:13 PM
I'm about to be privy to the luxury of a tugger

first time , and i've been at this trade for almost 3 decades

so any advice would be appreciated fellas....

~S~
Posted By: sparky Re: Cable Bender - 08/04/11 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by KJay
I have two different size sets of the Klein cable benders that I use occasionally. They sort of resemble the eyebolt that TWH mentioned, except they can be slipped on or off the cable at any point. They will work, but of course, it is going to be all on you and how much upper body strength and determination you have. Sometimes it feels like you’re wrestling a bear. smile

Klein Cable Benders

[Linked Image from ecx.images-amazon.com]
are these wire-size specific? ~S~
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Cable Bender - 08/04/11 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by sparky
I'm about to be privy to the luxury of a tugger

first time , and i've been at this trade for almost 3 decades

so any advice would be appreciated fellas....

~S~

Sparky,
Here is my tugger knoledge in a nutshell
1 Make sure everything is tied down good
2 Never stand straight in line with the rope while tugging
3 do not let the rope cross itself on the capstan drum
4 work smart and safe

You can go to the greenlee website and download the instruction manual, after wading thru the safety warnings there are some prety good pictures of tugger setups for typical cable pulls. The model I have is 640.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cable Bender - 08/04/11 06:55 PM
~s~:

Mine was a 'Super Tugger' package, rolling box, tugger, sheeves, adaptors, etc.

It was a 'certified pre-owned' (used). A local supply house repossed it from an EC that went OOB & owed him $$$$. I plopped down $2k for it.

You may want to look at 'certified previously owned' to save some $$. The electrical advertiser paper usually has all kinds of equipment.

Or, you may want to talk to Mr. Bill before jumping in!

Once you put one to work...you will probably kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

As Jimmy said above, the instructions are available on-line.

Posted By: sparky Re: Cable Bender - 08/05/11 02:01 AM
methinks for once i'm going to find my glasses....>
[Linked Image from rackettering-greenlee-klauke-tools-distributor.co.uk]

thanX ~S~
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Cable Bender - 08/05/11 02:06 AM
OK, I guess I should have checked what it looked like first.

FWIW, there 'was' a quick set-up big decal inside the storage box. OR, request a real catalog from the Greenlee rep. Heck, for a $$$ sale they should be able to find one for ya.

© ECN Electrical Forums