ECN Forum
Posted By: Joetools 6 cct on contactor - 03/30/11 02:24 AM
looking to put 6 ccts (lighting) on a contactor controlled by a time clock. I'm kinda new, and not sure how to go about it. are there 6 pole contactors?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/30/11 02:33 AM
Two 3 pole contactors is probably cheaper than a 6 pole, if you could find one. Try GE CR206L20GAZZ
Posted By: twh Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/30/11 05:25 AM
Check 30-710(4) for the rating of the contactor. Appendix B refers to CSA C22.2 #14, which means nothing to me, but it might allow for a lower rating if the contactor is rated in HP. The rule is that for HID lighting, the rating must be double the ampere load.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/30/11 12:19 PM
ASCO makes lighting contactors with as many poles as you need. A mere 6 poles should be no problem at all.

http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/...LightingContactorsforBranchCircuits.aspx
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/30/11 01:03 PM
Please note that lighting loads should use contactors described as 'lighting contactors,' rather than the less robust 'definite purpose contactors.'
Posted By: Joetools Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/31/11 05:09 AM
thanks! 2 - 3pole contactors will work. Now, installing the time clock. There are 4 terminals, 2 line, 2 load. I'll parallel up the coils, but I don't see where I would need 2 wires in and 2 out for the time clock. I seem to remember there being a removable bridge in the time clock. Do I just remove this to have the 2 lines in so it acts like a switch for the contactors? But it must need power all the time to function, so ...... where does that come from? the contactors are the load side?

advice much appreciated!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: 6 cct on contactor - 03/31/11 07:23 AM
Originally Posted by Joetools
thanks! 2 - 3pole contactors will work. Now, installing the time clock. There are 4 terminals, 2 line, 2 load. I'll parallel up the coils, but I don't see where I would need 2 wires in and 2 out for the time clock. I seem to remember there being a removable bridge in the time clock. Do I just remove this to have the 2 lines in so it acts like a switch for the contactors? But it must need power all the time to function, so ...... where does that come from? the contactors are the load side?

Joe,
The feed phase wire from the supply would go to one of the Line terminals, the other Line terminal will be for the neutral, this will often have a link between the line and load side of the time switch, use a meter to confirm this though.
Connect your contactors to the Load side of the time switch.

Hope this helps.
Posted By: pooL8 Re: 6 cct on contactor - 04/04/11 11:24 AM
1 Pole
[Linked Image from site.electricsuppliesonline.com]2 Pole [Linked Image from site.electricsuppliesonline.com]
© ECN Electrical Forums