ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Re: New product - 03/05/11 03:47 AM
I was watching HGTV tonight and I saw something brand new. Let's see what anyone thinks about this:

http://eupgrader.com/635/living/hide-your-wires-in-plain-sight-with-flatwires-flat-wire/

The decorator wanted to hang 2 sconce lights but didn't want to call an EC, so she used this product. (It looked like this product.) Tapped off a receptacle, glued the wire on wall and hung 2 lights.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: New product - 03/05/11 04:01 AM
looks what AMP use to sell for under carpet office wiring in the late 70's early 80's.

Now just as long as the HO does not want to hang something where the strip is located.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: New product - 03/05/11 08:25 AM
It's called flat conductor cable FCC. That could be a good old work substitute in some apps
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: New product - 03/05/11 08:41 AM
I will be very carefull with the line voltage rated items due some are not really approved for the useage espcally on the carpeted area.

IIRC The NEC code will stated something about carpets on commercal location if used sqaure peices then it will be ok but for one peice naw it will not really fly it very much.

However in France it pretty restrictive on the flat cable they are pretty much summed up in the wall area none of items are allowed in the floor area.

{ they are not rated to handle European voltage system so that one nice block there }

Low voltage yeah they can get around with it but few area are getting smart with it.

Merci.
Marc
Posted By: renosteinke Re: New product - 03/05/11 05:10 PM
READ THE FINE PRINZT

That stuff is for low voltage use only.

While looking similar, it's nor FCC. There's no ground, or metal cover shield.
Posted By: KJay Re: New product - 03/05/11 08:14 PM
Hmmm! … “Flat wire that you mount on the surface of the wall and paint over.”
Isn’t that what hacks have been doing with SPT lamp cord since the beginning of time?
I guess I could see this being used under carpet and terminated at a single distribution point, but I’m not sure I like how it looks bringing it up the walls like that.
Maybe if I was renting an apartment and didn’t want to expend the time and effort doing a permanent install, I might consider using it. I’m kind of wondering what shape the walls would be in after you remove the FlatWire from it though.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New product - 03/05/11 08:37 PM
I used the flat under carpet cable system on two jobs years back. I remember it was very pricey, was ONLY listed for use under 'carpet tiles', and had a lot of accessories that were needed to do the install. I think it was either a Pirelli or Amp product. It had a kind of sheet metal covering that came on a roll to protect it.

The few comments I read on that link were almost as funny!

Posted By: noderaser Re: New product - 03/06/11 09:52 AM
Looks like the intended use is for two-wire audio, not 120V or signals. But, I'd be willing to be that there's someone out there who's probably using it for 120V. Plug a space heater into an outlet fed by it, and you'll have a "bonus" heating element, all along your wall.
Posted By: KJay Re: New product - 03/06/11 09:03 PM
Couldn’t wireless equipment do everything pictured, except for maybe the TV itself?
Seems the cost of wireless speakers and other equipment is dropping all the time, so I’m not sure what advantage there will be in using FlatWire, especially when you consider the setup is still more or less permanently fixed in one place and then you have to paint it to match the walls and trim without messing up the rest of the existing paint.

You just know that someone eventually is going to have the great idea of using this for a 120V circuit extension. I don’t think there is any way to idiot proof the product.
Posted By: harold endean Re: New product - 03/07/11 02:01 PM
As I said, the decorator used this flat wire and plugged something into the receptacle below the sconce light. ( Excuse me Luminaire )(Did I spell that right?)

Anyway, the website states that it is low voltage but on the TV show it looked like line voltage. Needless to say, IMHO putting wiring on the wall and painting over looks like you could be in for trouble if you want to hang something on the wall right below the new sconce light.
Posted By: Tesla Re: New product - 03/07/11 06:54 PM
This stuff has a very limited market.

It's not cheap.

And it's not a product ever to be favored by electricians.

It's designed for non-professionals.

What could go wrong?
Posted By: mbhydro Re: New product - 03/09/11 12:47 AM
Looking through the FAQ section on their web site it appears that they are looking for UL listing for a 120v version.
Posted By: harold endean Re: New product - 03/09/11 02:31 PM
Hydro,

If they get that listing, I would think that they would need a "grounding layer" on top of the 120 V like they do for the under carpet style. You would need something to trip a breaker if they were to stick a nail or thumbtack into the wire.
As for seeing the "tape/wire", I would think that in the right light you would still see a tiny bump on the wall where the tape runs. I mean can't you see the sheet rock tape in the corner, if the drywall mud isn't applied thick enough.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New product - 03/09/11 02:35 PM
Harold:

"You would need something to trip a breaker if they were to stick a nail or thumbtack into the wire."

That's one of the reasons we need AFCI!!! LOL!!!
Posted By: harold endean Re: New product - 03/09/11 02:57 PM
John,

Not if it falls under "Rehab"! Ha Ha!
Either that or the circuit will trip by itself.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: New product - 03/10/11 01:04 AM
Harold:
Someday....DCA will 'update' REHAB.....
Posted By: harold endean Re: New product - 03/11/11 02:19 PM
John,

Hopefully before I retire! smile
© ECN Electrical Forums