ECN Forum
Posted By: harold endean Service panels - 02/02/11 03:52 PM
This post might apply to my friends north of us. I watch Holmes on Homes on TV and I know that the show is filmed in Canada. I see where most of the service panels are installed sideways. I was just wondering why they do it that way? Is it force of habit? Or is it as per NEC? Or just preference?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Service panels - 02/02/11 04:05 PM
Harold:

I noticed that also, while jumping thru channels!

Let's see if our Canadian members have an answer (CEC required?)

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Service panels - 02/02/11 04:32 PM
It's strictly a matter of convenience. CEC does not require that 'down' mean 'off.'

You'll also see a number of other differences, especially regarding specific GFCI and AFCI requirements. You'll often hear that it's required to remove / disconnect knob&tube. You'll hear of a limit on the number of lights or receptacles on a circuit.

You'll learn that it's OK to wire-nut aluminum to copper using what appear to be ordinary wirenuts (specific nuts are approved for the use). You'll see new FPE-like panels being installed. Panel-mounted surge protecters are described as 'necessary.'

And I'm sure there are other differences ...
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Service panels - 02/02/11 05:24 PM
They do this because Canadian code requires a separate sealed compartment to contain the feeders and main breaker. This is to protect people from exposure to the mains. Because of this, the branch circuits must enter the panel through the sides or the bottom. By mounting it sideways, all (or most) of the cables can come straight down, thus reducing labor required to dress and fasten them.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Service panels - 02/02/11 06:57 PM
Harold:
You got responses from 'Blue Collar Country' and Va, and after reading both, I see the reasoning.
Posted By: candyman Re: Service panels - 02/03/11 03:02 AM
Well i can tell you this living in Canada, the only code requirement regarding panels is the height, no breaker can be mounted higher than 5 feet...i see panels upside down and right side up but very rarely do we see them sideways..i guess some guys can't dress a panel properly and do it that way for speed...
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Service panels - 02/03/11 04:34 AM
Horizontal panel in Canada = Just fine. smile

Horizontal panel in the USA = Hack work. grin

Just another difference in codes & practices, the Canadian practices w/ the main seems to be a bit of overkill, but I would like to see the line side of the main guarded a bit better.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Service panels - 02/03/11 07:09 PM
I think putting the main at the bottom would be a good compromise if you wanted the top clear for entering the branch circuits.
Posted By: mbhydro Re: Service panels - 02/03/11 11:42 PM
His show is based in Ontario so I wonder if its more of a regional preference. Here in Manitoba I don't see that many mounted sideways.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Service panels - 02/04/11 03:21 PM
MB,

I was thinking the same thing, I have seen where things are common in certain areas. A type of panel, or a way of wiring up of equipment.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Service panels - 02/04/11 03:41 PM
It also keeps the breakers all at the same height. We don't have the 42 breaker limit so some panels get quite large/tall if you mount them upright.
For the record a few Canadian codes.
12 outlet limit on branch circutis unless fixed known loads attached.
Smokes in bedrooms must NOT be AFCI.
Lighting only permitted on 15 amp branch circuits.
20 amp circuits MUST use 20 amp receptacles. Either straight 20 amp or 20 amp T slots permitted.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Service panels - 02/04/11 08:19 PM
To be fair to Mike Holmes, when he arrives he usually finds the overloaded panel with branch circuit wires passing right through the 'service' side, and there simply isn't enough wire to reroute the wires around the box and in the side.

By 'overloaded," I am referring to there being too many circuits in the panel - double tapped breakers, too many 'skinnys,' dedicated circuits being used for other tasks, etc. I am also given to understand there is a CEC requirement that the panel be installed with at least two unused spaces.
Posted By: twh Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 02:01 AM
Aren't panels and receptacles supposed to be mounted with the ground down?
Posted By: harold endean Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 03:33 AM
TWH,

That argument has been going on since they invented the three wire receptacle!
Posted By: harold endean Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 03:35 AM
Reno,

I believe there are UL listed circuit breakers that are allowed to have 2 wires under them. I remember them being listed years ago, but I haven't checked on them lately.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 03:48 AM
Harold:

The only CB I am aware of OK for two (2) conductors are Sq D QO/QO-B. I'm not up to date on Homeline thou.

Posted By: renosteinke Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 04:00 PM
Yes, Harold ... but my abilities to communicate are sometimes limited.

You're probably thinking along the lines of "it's OK to add some lights to a lighting circuit, as long as your load is under 15 amps- even if the wires go all the way back to the panel.' In that example, I agree with you.

I was thinking more along the lines of "gee, the panel is full, so I'll land the wire from the new addition on the breaker that's serving the dedicated bath circuit - thre furnace doesn't draw much." Do that, and it's no longer a dedicated circuit.

Anybody who has ever dealt with existing construction can tell you exactly what Mike Holmes will find the moment he walks on set. The same 'easy' or 'cheaper' solutions, the same problems created by poor planning and minimumal code compliance, the same educated ignorance.

What's worth noting - though a bit off topic- is that I've never seen Mike Holmes called in because of electrical problems. Instead, it's a cold bedroom, leaky roof, etc. The massive electrical work results from the violations they find once they open things up. The job keeps growing ....
Posted By: leland Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 07:18 PM
Horizontal panel:

I don't really care,But I must ask.......

Why the heck did they mount the door to open UP?
Now one must 'prop' it or hold it!

(RE; the show a few days ago)
Posted By: twh Re: Service panels - 02/05/11 08:27 PM
The direction the door opened was less important than which side the main was on.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Service panels - 02/06/11 04:20 AM
Originally Posted by leland
Horizontal panel:

I don't really care,But I must ask.......

Why the heck did they mount the door to open UP?
Now one must 'prop' it or hold it!

(RE; the show a few days ago)

I assume that is the reason for Canadian panels w/o doors I see in pictures...
Posted By: pooL8 Re: Service panels - 02/19/11 01:57 AM
I've done it many times.
If the foundation in a basement comes up too high, you may not be able to mount the panel vertically and still meet the top breaker's height requirement of 1.7m, without building out a wall...

And the odd service upgrade. If the old panel was sideways, then often the new one is too. Branch ccts can fit right back where they were. ETC.

I've only ever been asked WHY? once by a customer. And the foundation/breaker height was the reason.

Subpanel feeds don't need a guard, so I get happy when I can bring the feeder cable in anywhere at the panel. It's like a friggin treat for me.

I like and dislike the guard rule...
It can be a drag for fishing into the attic when the main breaker is at the top. No branch ccts allowed through there. Or down when it's mounted down.
But it's nice to have that area sealed off when I'm tying in branch ccts. Hydro doesn't have a breaker that I can reach to turn their service off, so the guard is nice.

Though I think it can be important to have a hazard near by that can bite, then you are always careful. Careful skill.
Either way.
Posted By: harold endean Re: Service panels - 02/23/11 02:47 PM
I am not sure if I would like the guarded main or not. I have been doing electrical for 30 plus years and always worked around the unguarded main. You learn real quick how to be careful around those wires. You always try to work with the power off, but sometimes you can't. We have wrapped rubber "blankets" around the main conductors so that we don't touch them. I also gave up wearing my wedding band for all the years I was an electrician. The band would not be on at all during the day and I only wore it when I wasn't working.
© ECN Electrical Forums