ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkyinak CT question - 11/14/10 12:07 PM
Providing a CT has the amperage output, can a single CT provide accurate signalling to two or more meters requiring a CT?
Posted By: LarryC Re: CT question - 11/14/10 10:45 PM
I will take a wild guess, but if the two meters are physically close AND you connect the two meter's CT inputs in SERIES, I think yes.

Acceptable practice, I do not know.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: CT question - 11/15/10 01:16 AM
Another wild guess of 'yes'. Pondering a little deeper, I would venture a guess that as long as the 'meter' device doesn't exceed the power (correct term?) output of the CT, multiple 'meters' could be attached.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: CT question - 11/15/10 04:11 AM
It makes sense to me, but would degrade the accuracy is what I'm concern.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: CT question - 11/15/10 05:20 AM
My guess is the manufacturer will not guarantee the accuracy if it is not installed exactly the way they say.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: CT question - 11/15/10 02:07 PM
CTs have a rated maximum current output and a maximum circuit resistance. As long as the load of the multiple meters is below the maximum permitted load, there will be no issues with the operation or accuracy.
http://www.nktechnologies.com/pdfs/ct-tutorial.pdf
Posted By: JBD Re: CT question - 11/15/10 06:54 PM
In the days of electromechanical meters it was standard practice to provide a single set of CT's to feed both the Ammeter and the Wattmeter. Even in today's world of electronic meters it is still common.

However, it is rare that a protective device and a meter will share a single set of CT's (although it seems common in MV starter applications).
© ECN Electrical Forums