ECN Forum
Posted By: LarryC EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/03/10 08:22 PM
Just heard of a 7.0 shaker in Christchurch New Zealand. Isn't that Trumpy's stomping grounds?

Trumpy: I hope you and yours are doing OK.
Posted By: LarryC Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/03/10 09:06 PM
Just realized it's his birthday. He must be having one hell of a party to set off the seismigraphs !!!
Posted By: dougwells Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/03/10 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by LarryC
Just realized it's his birthday. He must be having one hell of a party to set off the seismigraphs !!!

iagree cheers
Posted By: dougwells Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/03/10 11:12 PM
I hope all is well Mike
Posted By: Trumpy Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 12:30 AM
Good catch, Larry,
The earthquake was actually 7.4 (source NZ Geological Service) on the Richter Scale.
It struck here at 0435HRS.

I happened to be at work at the time and was standing up on one of the higher platforms on the potato lines at a factory I do the electrical work for, trying to replace a motor drive unit, luckily I had 2 bolts in the drive unit when the quake hit town. crazy

Talk about Rock and Roll (Oh and hold on for dear life).

This area got off quite lightly, with very little damage.

However, further north in Christchurch (approx. 80 miles north), there are building collapses, roads closed with debris from them collapses, most of the area around ChCh has no power, phone (land-line or cell), problems with burst water mains and sewers.

What's more, with the East Coast of the South Island being a "plains-type" area we have a lot of rivers and with them come bridges, some places are cut-off until such time as a Structural Engineer can inspect and certify the bridges as safe, this is not a small task in itself.

Luckily though, there have been no reports of fatalities or serious injuries because of this quake.

Later on today, I'm going to head to Christchurch to relieve one of the Fire-fighters that will no doubt be working hard in the face of this incident.

Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 01:36 AM
Mike,

Glad to hear you are safe!

Bill
grin
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 03:23 AM
Mike:
Glad you're safe! Happy B'day, bud!

Stay safe on fire relief!
Posted By: electure Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 04:12 AM

Happy Birthday, Mike!! thumbs

Posted By: Lostazhell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 04:37 AM
From someone in one earthquake hotzone to another, be careful out there Mike... watch out for those aftershocks!

I just saw this on the news and you instantly came to mind... Very glad you and yours are doing well =)
And last but not least, Happy Birthday!

Randy
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 08:00 AM
I am glad you are safe Mike et Happy Birthday to ya as well.

Merci.
Marc
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/04/10 10:14 PM
It headed the BBC TV News today, NZ is very much cared about by us Brits. Looks like a lot of damage but fortuously no serious casualties.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Mike! cheers
Posted By: Scott35 Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/05/10 12:04 AM
Mike,

As Randy ("Lostazhell") said, from one fellow Seismic Zone inhabitant to another, keep alert for when the Aftershocks roll!
The Building Materials loosened by the Main Event get knocked over by the Aftershocks. Also the Gas lines ruptured by the Main Event have leaked greatly, filling enclosed areas. Aftershocks tend to ignite the volatile Gas via Sparks from faulting Circuitry.

As an Emergency Services Person, I am sure you are completely aware of this, which makes it kind of redundant for me to describe!
wink

I wish you the best of luck and safety, as you assist in the Search & Rescue efforts.

May all victims be found, and no fatalities.

Scott

p.s.: Happy Birthday!!! cheers
Posted By: Paulusgnome Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 05:46 AM
I live in suburban Christchurch.
It was a nasty wee jolt, felt like someone repeatedly picked up the house and slammed it back into the ground about half-a-dozen times. No time to react, I woke up and grabbed the nearest large object (my wife) and hung on for dear life until the shaking stopped.
Rode across town on my motorbike soon after first light to check on parents, siblings. What struck me immediately was that the older double-brick houses had copped plenty of visible damage, but most modern buildings seemed to have escaped with little or none. Many brick chimneys were piles of brick beside their houses, or worse had gone through the roof. Many churches are badly damaged.
My own house seems completely intact, the only damage being a PC that fell off the workstation and now no longer boots up. At the other end of the spectrum, three of the people that I work with no longer have houses, just piles of rubble.
The very weird thing to me is that if you had asked anyone in Canterbury ahead of this quake where they thought the next quake would come from, most would have pointed to the alpine fault that bisects NZ. But I'd say no-one, geologists included, would ever have picked the middle of the Canterbury plains as anything at all to worry about. It just goes to show how little we know about the ground under our feet.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 06:16 AM
I just heard back from our friend Garry at the North Avon Pharmacy. He had a similar experience to you.
This was what he wrote to us.

For me, the staggering thing is the patchy damage effects we're seeing. This earthquake has similar headline numbers to the Haiti earthquake ( 7.1 vs 7.0 there, both about 30 kms out from the main city centre, both about 10 to 16 k deep) - but no loss of life ( ( put that down to a 4.35 am timing - midday on a weekday would have been so very very different), lower population density, higher building standards)

Damage appears to be older brick facade style buildings where the facade has taken out verandahs, or fallen into the building. Plus LOTS of liquefaction issues - many houses will have mud and silt damage. One friend close to here tells of her husband heading out the bedroom door during the shake to attend to their daughter, but by the time she got to the door, it had closed and jammed. After the quake settled, they wrenched the door open and decided to step outside - but their front and back lawns were under silty water and mud, forced bu through the ground. A gate that used to shut flat against their house now doesn't - it has a 4 inch overlap. After a few minutes they determined they had no water services, so decided to get some buckets of water from the river, just across the road, to fill the toilet cistern. NO water in the river - took 15 minutes to return. Their house is probably a writeoff

Within a 5 block circle of here, which includes the riverisde area, many many damaged commercial premises and many homes that have moved on foundations, or settled or cracked. The local state of emergency has been extended by another 2 days, no schools, preschools etc are open and commercial businesses are been warned not to to open until building safety checks have been carried out. I expect to see and hear from many of our distressed pharmacy clients today ; some will be in unlivable homes

We live semi-rurally and have no damage in the surrounding area, but the township of Kaiapoi, a riverside town , is a mess. Our local church there has about 150 - 200 people there, and our informal partial gathering for thankfulness and support yesterday counted up 11 homes with damage, many likely to be unlivable.

So all in all, although the entire city has definitely dodged a biggy, it would be fair to say the impact, both now in terms of anxieties and long term in terms of people's livelihoods or home rebuilding challenges, are and will be significant

Posted By: sparkyinak Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 07:45 AM
Glad to hear everyone is ok. Happy belated Trumpy. bet you weren't planning to spend your birthday dealing with this
Posted By: Trumpy Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 09:14 AM
I can't help but think that we haven't seen the last of the earthquakes.
Although I hate to say that, I think something is about to give, in the Alpine fault-line.

Mark, I have to agree with you on the way that damage has occured across the earthquakes area, damage to buildings was almost selective (if you can use a term like that in this situation).

Greg's friend Garry has it right though, had this quake happened at 4:35PM, the outcome in Christchurch would have unfortunately been a heck of a lot worse.

I think this is what scares a lot of people about earthquakes, in that you can't predict them with any great certainty, they just happen un-expectedly.
When I lived in Blenheim for a couple of years, earthquakes were almost a daily occurence, albeit small ones, but you just got used to them.

One thing has to be said about brick construction though, under the forces of an earthquake, typical brick and mortar joints can't handle the twisting and heaving caused by movements in the earth below, add to the fact that a lot of these buildings have been standing for many years and the structural integrity of the mortar seems to get worse as time goes by.
At least a timber-framed house has a bit of "give" in it's construction, this isn't the case with brick or concrete where the re-bar has since rusted away.

All in all, I'm just glad that there were very few casualties, one person died from a heart attack and two people are in Intensive care after being struck by the brick chimney falling into the house below.

It's going to be some time before things are really back to normal here.
The people I really feel for are those that have lost everything and their houses are little more than a pile of rubble.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 10:00 AM
Mike and Paul as well { I know he is in the area as well }

Do you have any rough idea the number of buildings are damaged at the moment ??

I was getting conflect reports so I decided to ask direct to ya due you are in the area.

Merci.
Marc
Posted By: renosteinke Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 05:09 PM
As luck would have it .....

I'm living dead center over America's largest fault, and one that waqs the scene of what was (by far) America's biggest quake. Most folks don't think of Blytheville, Arkansas, though, since the fault has been essentially silent for nearly 200 years.

This is perhaps one of the reasons that local building practices are completely lacking in any sort of seismic considerations. For that matter, they ignore the frequent hurricaines that come here to die. Also, a great deal of the construction predates the Great Depression. Add the rampant termites .... well, you gert the picture.

I recently viewed one house that was faced on both levels with a stone and brick veneer. This 25 ft. stack of masonry had NO footing, simply stacked atop the 4" foundation slab. There were but a handful of brick ties, at the very top, and these were nailed into the plywood sheathing (you could pull them out with your bare hand). The mortar used was a 'home mix' that had little cement yet plenty of sand in it (think tile grout). I 'know' all of this as a section about 6 ft. tall and 4 ft. wide had fellen free from the second story.

Care to guess what will be the result of even a modest shake here? Perhaps it's no accident that a neighboring town is named "Haiti."

While we can't re-write the past, we can learn from it. There's not a job I've done where I didn't learn something - sometimes months later! Rather than focus on the crowded emergency rooms, I do wish the media would focus on what worked, and what failed, in every catastrophe. There are solid reasons why one house will burn, or fail, while another survives. There are also solid reasons why one place becomes a scene of looting and chaos, while another place recovers in an orderly manner.

As design and building professionals, we are in a position to actually make a difference.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 05:10 PM
I am not sure rebar with the proper "cover" really rusts away but I agree with the sentiment. Bad things can happen in old buildings. We build for uplift and wind pressure but I wonder how a southern building code building would hold up to a seismic event.
I have heard the same thing you say, about old stick built buildings in hurricanes. It seems a chickee hut (thatched roof pole barn) seems to do as well as block and steel. Maybe those indians were on to something wink
Posted By: dougwells Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Paulusgnome
I live in suburban Christchurch.
It was a nasty wee jolt, felt like someone repeatedly picked up the house and slammed it back into the ground about half-a-dozen times. No time to react, I woke up and grabbed the nearest large object (my wife) and hung on for dear life until the shaking stopped.
Rode across town on my motorbike soon after first light to check on parents, siblings. What struck me immediately was that the older double-brick houses had copped plenty of visible damage, but most modern buildings seemed to have escaped with little or none. Many brick chimneys were piles of brick beside their houses, or worse had gone through the roof. Many churches are badly damaged.
My own house seems completely intact, the only damage being a PC that fell off the workstation and now no longer boots up. At the other end of the spectrum, three of the people that I work with no longer have houses, just piles of rubble.
The very weird thing to me is that if you had asked anyone in Canterbury ahead of this quake where they thought the next quake would come from, most would have pointed to the alpine fault that bisects NZ. But I'd say no-one, geologists included, would ever have picked the middle of the Canterbury plains as anything at all to worry about. It just goes to show how little we know about the ground under our feet.

Oops sorry, I forgot that you lived there too
Posted By: Trumpy Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 07:07 PM
An article (with a heap of pictures) on the damage around the Canterbury area:
HERE.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 09:51 PM
That was a bad earthquake in Christchurch, glad that you guys are all right.

Didn't feel a thing in Auckland, that is a massive job in cleaning up and rebuilding.

Be glad that CHCH still has overhead 66kV feeders going into town.

Imagine HV cables being torn apart as grounds move and repairs are to be made.
OH cables at least have a bit of give in them and can be repaired a lot quicker too.

All the best with the rebuild for now.
Posted By: dougwells Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/06/10 09:54 PM
I was looking at these last night
Posted By: Trumpy Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/07/10 01:42 AM
We are still having after-shocks here, we had two last night in the space of about 16 minutes and one this morning.
I don't think the plates have quite settled down yet.

People seem to be rather on edge here at the moment, not knowing what is going to happen next.

BTW, thanks guys in hindsight for the birthday wishes, I'm not likely to forget this one in a hurry! crazy
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/07/10 05:25 PM
Glad you're both OK!!

They say building codes are written in blood, and seismic codes are no exception. I'm not the least bit surprised the new homes withstood the quake far better than older homes. It's not just masonry vs wood either, but the way the structures are supported and reinforced. BIG differences between new and old.

A modern house may still sustain damage during a severe enough quake, but if the occupants escape alive, it's done it's job.
Posted By: LarryC Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 09/10/10 12:40 AM
I had NO idea you lived in NZ too. My appologies to all of the posters who were directly affected by the quake.

LarryC

PS: I guess Trumpy just posts too much to let anyone else get their .02 in. grin
Posted By: renosteinke Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 02:16 PM
Well, it's Deja Vu all over again.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 02:49 PM
Glad you're ok Mike.
150 dead and it will get worse.
This is a major disaster.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...in-the-city-of-Christchurch.html?image=1
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 04:13 PM
Just saw the news on AOL homepage now. Glad you're OK Mike!!

Posted By: HotLine1 Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 04:55 PM
Just saw the news on AOL homepage now. Glad you're OK Mike!!

Posted By: renosteinke Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 08:49 PM
Sorry, guys ... I resurrected an old thread - we have not yet heard from Mike after THIS quake.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/22/11 09:13 PM
He shouted today, so he's ok.
Posted By: harold endean Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/23/11 03:08 PM
That goes double for me. When I heard the news about the quake, I was worried about my friends here on this board. Also my son also had a friend down there working for the summer. I asked my son if his friend Mike was OK. He said that Mike had come home just last week.
Posted By: dougwells Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 05:07 AM
These pics will take a bit to load

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/02/christchurch_earthquake.html
Posted By: Admin Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 06:07 AM
Thanks for the link Doug.

It's hard to imagine what that's like.

Bill
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 06:40 AM
I have been looking at the news reports and my friend there is 3 blocks from the cordoned off area in downtown Christchurch (NE of the Fitzgerald Beasley corner) and I still have not heard anything from him. I assume the internet may be down there.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 08:59 AM
Greg,
80% of Christchurch City has no electricity and from what I've heard from the lines company there it's going to be some time before supplies are re-instated, there is apparently a substantial amount of damage to the underground reticulation system.
A lot of the city is also without water service or a sewerage system with a LOT of pipes being damaged in the quakes.

One thing that really stood out to me last night up there, is the fact that you really have to see this first-hand to get an idea of the sheer scale of what has happened, pictures IMO don't really do it justice.
Christchurch recovered reasonably quickly from the September quake and to a certain degree was well on the mend, and now this has happened, who is to say that it isn't going to happen again.

I think this is what scares people so much about earthquakes, they are so unpredictable and happen unexpectedly.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 09:04 AM
I think I will take the hurricanes.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 09:54 AM
This quake is a very bad one, Glad to hear that you are all right Mike.
You are still in Ashburton ?
The official death toll is 96 at the moment 2030hr TV3 news update, but with over 200 people still missing or unaccounted for, the forecast is very bleak.
The mood in NZ is somber as we all feel bad for the loss of life in Christchurch. NZ flags half mast in Auckland on the Harbour Bridge and Government buildings.
Extra rescue teams, and police from Australia, U.S.A. , Japan, U.K. are providing help with the USAR and police to search for people trapped in the rubble.
Power is expected to be off for many weeks or months in some badly affected area's as multiple cable faults and substations are seriously damages, as well as water and sewer systems.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 11:09 PM
Remembe that the Richter scale is a logrithmic scale. In practical terms, that means this aftershock was only 1/4 as strong as the original quake.

How can they suffer a 7.0 with little damage - then be devastated by a 6.3?

I can't wait for some studies to be made of the damages.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/24/11 11:37 PM
I suspect there is a lot of unrecognized damage from the original quake and the aftershock pushes it over the edge.
That is why inspection is so important before they let people go back in these buildings.
Posted By: sparky Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/25/11 04:46 PM
Man,

Sound like things are busy in Christchurch

Hang in there Trumpy

~S~
Posted By: RODALCO Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/27/11 02:43 AM
The depth of the earthquake from last week was a lot shallower.
About 5 km below the surface as the September 2010 one was 10 km or even deeper in ground.
Of course some buildings may have had weekend foundations which may have added to the carnage.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 02/27/11 03:52 AM
I got this from our friend in Christchurch NZ
(happy he is OK)

although a smaller EQ than Sept ( 6.3 vs 7.0 ) BUT the epicenter is very shallow, much ,much closer to the city centre ( only 6 miles or so) and arrives in the city amplified by the volcanic rock that it originated in ( different earth substructure than Sept)

See the NZHerald.co.nz and stuff.co.nz websites

The devastation is huge. I was driving with my wife and thought the rear wheel was coming off the car. I drop her back to her school and head to work.. An overbridge gives me a view of the central city - I see a massive dust cloud and immediately know we have not escaped casualties this time. My 10 minute journey takes 40 or 50 minutes - streets are damaged, river bridges down and the roads full of cars. Aftershocks rock the car as I sit in traffic.

The eastern side of town, where we are , is smashed. Our building is fine , my staff fine but shaken.

The days that follow are a blur.

EQ was 10 to 1 Tuesday - 5.30pm Wed we get power back so can offer emergency service and meds to people ( I did this on Wed, without power - handwritten pharmacy labels will be a historic quirk smile )

Phones are OK Wed till midday but stop working until midday Thursday. Our roads are jammed - the bridge at the end of our street is one of few standing. Our local doctors are doing their rounds on pushbike.

We have no potable water ( OK, I live rurally so bring bottles of fresh water in) , no sewerage ( portaloo arrives tomorrow, hopefully) and internet just came up late yesterday - hence our lack of response.

I have been assisting our pharmacy wholesaler re-locate - this is a vast undertaking, made necessary by building damage and the fact that the building is inside the CBD cordon. I've gotten persuasively good at talking my way past the police/Army cordon

I've not seen the US based USAR ( Urban Search and Rescue ) teams on the ground here, but they are here and we are grateful.

Posted By: Lostazhell Re: EARTHQUAKE in NZ 7.0 - 07/07/11 01:47 AM
Evidently there's been another shaker down in Kiwi Land.... Mike & RODALCO... U guys ok???

NZ Quake...
© ECN Electrical Forums