ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky How i got my Prima Donna merit badge - 12/19/02 11:39 AM
One of the Logger/GC's here recently crawled out from under his stump pile to GC a home.

Understand, there is NO criterior here for the term, a wide chasm exists bettween 'General Contractor' & 'General Crackpot' , most of the public being quite unaware with no 3rd party viewing the carnage.

So the dude calls me to rough it out, tries to lay it out, has no clue, i have to argue the simplest things,like countertop spacing, basic lighting, dedicated loads, so on & so forth....so we get by that....

Then he imposes a deadline, this is after i start the job mind you, ( Xmas of course), to which i stated i could not meet.

time goes by....

he then calls and claims that HE and his 3-toed sloth of a helper had trimmed out, but cannot figure the 3-ways and GFI's ( line/loads).... [Linked Image]

mind you, he did not ask referals ](i keep the #'s of a few good J-men who moonlight) , or make any attempt to use a phone, nor did he ask my help in this matter in any fashion.

they hacked it so badly i'd be backtracking for more time than it would have taken to trim it in the first place.....

i told him i did not wish involvement and/or liability in his, or his helpers work.
so he explodes into a potty-mouthed rant including elevating me to the exalted position of {expletive deletive} Prima Donna

That's how i got my merit badge.
[Linked Image]

I hope i'm in good company here...

Steve ~ aka~ P.D. Sparky
Posted By: spyder Re: How i got my Prima Donna merit badge - 12/19/02 12:14 PM
Since he helped you out with your job, maybe you could help him out with his job. For example you could nail up some baseboard or window casing.....
Welcome to the club....Wear your badge proudly!
Posted By: electure Re: How i got my Prima Donna merit badge - 12/19/02 12:29 PM
Ah, yes...the old Prima Donna line.
Do you suppose there's a way we can purchase the merit badges at group rates?
I'm on one today, a residential remodel in Newport Beach. No plans, a GC's spec house.(mansion, if you believe in smoke & mirrors) He comes around once a day to give directions such as "it goes over there" (pointing finger from 25').
I fished some RX through a soffit yesterday, and cut right through a termite ridden joist with a fishtape. Today's service upgrade day, as he wants that part complete by tomorrow morning (rain predicted tomorrow afternoon) He didn't make any proper arrangements with the PoCo, so I'll have to cut & remake the service drop. Though all the services should go underground in this area, he's already poured fancy decorative concrete all over the place. His poor planning is not my emergency, so I oughta tell him to stuff it.
Prima Donna badge? I've earned it, and will wear it proudly!! I hope I've outgrown the "idiot will do anything" badge, and the sticker that says "kick me, I can take it"
[Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Scotts Re: How i got my Prima Donna merit badge - 12/19/02 01:13 PM
Congratulations!!!! [Linked Image]
Scott
Posted By: andylea Re: How i got my Prima Donna merit badge - 12/28/02 06:57 PM
yea, i got one of those badges. gc couldent understand why i couldent use plumbing pipe instead of emt. badge was issued to me after said gc got annoyed and whilst walking past me tryed to bump me into an empty swimming pool. 100 pound, 5 foot italian american into 200 pound, 6 foot brit. work it out. i never felt a thing officer.
© ECN Electrical Forums