ECN Forum
Posted By: CCFort Ground Wire - 06/11/10 07:15 PM
My electrician ran a ground line from the main water line to the ground rod near the panel using a solid #4 wire and from the ground rod into the panel. We also have a line into the new foundation - 25ft.

My question is - he used #4 Solid which is only sheilded outside the house, but under the houe, it's all not sheilded - is this OK? I remember one time that a Private Home Inspector (when you sell a house) required us to replace the wire with a #4 Strand Sheilded Wire.

What is really required? County of Los Angeles.

Thank you.

CCF
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Ground Wire - 06/11/10 07:49 PM
Hello, and welcome to ECN.

As I am not familiar IF LA County has any local amendments regarding grounding electrodes, one of our CA members can handle that.

You can find all the grounding electrode requirements that are NEC mandated, within the NEC (Article 250), whatever edition CA is using.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Ground Wire - 06/11/10 09:11 PM
#4 ground conductors can be used without physical protection if it is not subject to damage. That is a judgment call but generally if it is stapled to and closely following, the wall or other surfaces and out of the way they consider it not subject to damage. #4 solid is actually tougher than stranded in my opinion. The code makes no distinction except when you are talking about pools or farms.
Posted By: CCFort Re: Ground Wire - 06/12/10 09:09 PM
Thank John and Greg -
' appreciate your comments.

CCF
© ECN Electrical Forums