ECN Forum
Posted By: HotLine1 Where is everyone???? - 05/13/10 02:31 AM
OK, I'm curious.....
It's been very quiet here lately.

Anyone have any hints where everyone is??

Any suggestions?? Any comments??

Posted By: mxslick Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/13/10 04:16 AM
I blame the Iceland volcano. smile
Posted By: homerjones Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/13/10 04:47 AM
out working if you were too you wouldnt have time to be asking such foolish questions.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/13/10 07:55 AM
John,
We have all wondered this, but, one thing you have to realise, is that ECN has cyclic, seasonal ebbs and flows.
When the weather starts to warm up in the US, we see less posting here from US members and more from those from the Non-US areas members.
I also think to a degree, with the number of server changes and what-not, we have lost a lot of members, due to folks not being able to log in after the server change.

I could be way wrong, but that is my thought at this point in time.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/13/10 02:29 PM
Trumpy:
OK, your comments make sense. Hpoefully those who are 'lost' will find their way back.

MX:
Volcanic ash blocking the sat feeds; OK

Homer:
BTW, I do work....

Posted By: harold endean Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 05:15 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but it got real busy around here lately. I had more than 50-75 permits go through my office in the past week or two.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 05:26 PM
In the grand scheme of things that is a good thing. I bet it doesn't feel that way from your view tho. Look at the bright side. Maybe you can hire more guys soon wink
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 06:37 PM
Harold:
FWIW, we issued 1387 as of 4/30. Guesstimate of 50+/- sitting in the review pile. Things are good that way.

Greg:
Hire? NJ is in deep financial mess, like a lot of other states.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 06:50 PM
I know. I was talking to bryan the other day and he says they fired the "code enforcement" guys (junk in the yard and grass too high). They have building code inspectors doing that and taking code inspections as they come in.
They are trying to protect the guys with the best licenses and being a quad hitter is very helpful.
Posted By: sparky Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 08:03 PM
I've been busy shakin' the tree for work.....~S~
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/14/10 11:48 PM
There's a lot of layoff's, firings, furloughs, etc., happening all around here. It started last year, and it just keeps going. Times are still tough for a lot of people, and getting tough or tougher for a lot more. The education groups around here are taking a big hit now.

Skimming thru the local paper, basic doom & gloom for the public sector employees every day.

Posted By: JValdes Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/15/10 06:20 PM
I have been spending my time at Electrician Talk. Pretty good forum and laid back.

I posted a question in the computer section here and hope someone can help me.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/15/10 06:31 PM
Hotline, I have been abducted by aliens (known as "Razorbacks" here) and taken to a far-away world where the land is so flat the only 'hill' is the freeway overpass. Internet access is extremely limited for me.

Similar to back on Earth, the locals are always trying to get me to try exotic foods - though they tell me it "tastes just like possum." They call their language "english," but that's surely a coincidence ... it has nothing in common with the language WE use.

In electrical terms, work has become something of a challenge, as none of the power is "Earthed." Ungrounded delta - oh joy!
Posted By: JoeKP Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/18/10 04:44 AM
I've been over at Electrician Talk as well, its nice and active over there smile and I have been quite busy lately too.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/18/10 02:13 PM
I'm happy that a lot of guys are busy! That's a good thing.

The forum that two of you mentioned did seem to have a lot of activity when I slipped in there for a visit!

That said, Trumpy's reasoning seems to have very little bearing on the activity there.

I'm just curious regarding the 'quietness' here?

Posted By: RODALCO Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/21/10 05:46 AM
Still alive, and all is well.

We have an awesome long summer in NZ and enjoying the outdoor life.

My kids take a lot of time which I enjoy a lot.

I admit that I spend too much time on YouTube, watching video's and making video's.

Just uploaded a couple of transformer photo's on the photo website.

Regards

Raymond
Posted By: OreElect Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/21/10 06:42 AM
Im still here in Oregon.Its been along time. Hi all
Posted By: leland Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/22/10 06:57 AM
Yep. summers here. (almost) been on the bike and working like a ... All service/testing, no installs. Most of my time though- has been windshield time.average lately- 250/ day.

Not so much fun in a van.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/23/10 06:18 PM
Fortunetly, I've been very busy myself but not sure how long that will last. I'm on vacation now, my girlfriend is in town visiting laugh
Posted By: Admin Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/24/10 04:20 AM
Something I noticed is that we used to have thousands of pages indexed on Google - which, gave us a steady stream of new people coming in all the time. For some reason we don't have the same rankings anymore.

I'm going to try tweaking some things to see what I can do to change that.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/24/10 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by homerjones
Out working if you were too, you wouldn't have time to be asking such foolish questions.

Homer,
I don't think that that is a very nice comment.
Like the rest of us, John (Hotline) is out there, doing the hard yards.
With the way the world economy is, everyone is scratching for their piece of the pie.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a flame war here, but I wonder why you would say such a thing?
{Without punctuation as well, compare my edit to your original post}
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/24/10 02:46 PM
Trumpy:
Thanks for the words, I thought about a rebuttal when I saw that,....but left it at only a thought.

That said, it's great that a lot of us are kinda busy workwise.

Posted By: luckyshadow Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/25/10 12:54 AM
I would venture to say there are multiple reasons why its quiet here.
1) the natural cycle of things when it comes to forums
2) the server issues and chat room problems
3) summer in the US

I know I have been lacking lately here myself. Warmer weather always slows down my internet usage. Been fine tuning the motorcycle and riding every chance I get.

Doing the yard work and house hold stuff during the week so weekends are open to ride with the clubs(s) I'm in.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Where is everyone???? - 05/29/10 07:13 PM
Still working over here, (albeit with 2 paycuts) but the oilfields are still pumping, and we just finished replacing one of the co-gen boilers with an "ultra low NOx" boiler for stricter air quality specs.. (We'll do another one in November) PXP is planning on developing a field we we're supposed to do a year ago again, so work is fairly steady here.

Public employees are still on the chopping block in a major way here in Cali though. The blindsided over here think placing "fee's" (the PC word for new taxes nowadays) on everything is going to solve a $20B+ deficit, when it's really just pushing everyone to move operations out of the state.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Where is everyone???? - 06/06/10 07:49 AM
I've been quiet since I started high school really. Having just gotten a job doesn't help. Nor does the picture forums not being as active as they used to be. See you all around.
Posted By: waymag Re: Where is everyone???? - 06/12/10 05:15 PM
Busy as that cat they talk about. You know...the one that tries to bury turds on a frozen pond.
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Where is everyone???? - 06/14/10 02:52 AM
Have been bouncing in every few days, whenever I hop on the Firefox.

Work for me is rapidly approaching the "Mythical Jackalope Level"; meaning that I keep hearing about work, but have yet to see it!
bash rolleyes

It's not quite that bad... I have performed EE / Design / CAD work on Eight Industrial Projects since the beginning of 2010.
They are small in comparison to the Projects in preceeding years. 10,000 to 30,000 square foot Building Footprint, compared to the 70,000 - 400,000 square foot projects prior to 01-01-2010.

Scott
Posted By: IanR Re: Where is everyone???? - 07/06/10 02:21 AM
Been workin graveyard shift and busy as a blue @$$ tick. Still lurk when I can.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Where is everyone???? - 07/06/10 03:38 AM
I been busy working in France with irreguar hours so far and dealt with couple issue with computer.

but things start to slow down little bit but it will pick up afterwhile.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: njelectricmaster Re: Where is everyone???? - 07/11/10 10:03 PM
I am sory that I have not had the chance to stop in very often. Ever since I went to work in the mining industry I have been so busy I can't see straight. Life is good in Washington state for me and mine. I started out as the electrical foreman, moved to Electrical and fixed Maintenance Forman, and am now the Maintenance coordinator. Life in the mines are different than construction, and that may have a small berring on how often I check in. For the young ones out there though, use this site well as there is more knowledge here than you may find anywhere.
© ECN Electrical Forums