ECN Forum
Posted By: master44 Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 12:29 AM
How do you interput 210.11 c (2) It says that the laundry circuit can only supply the laundry receptacle (S). But then it it says . This circuit shall have no other outlets. I was under the opinion that there could be one other recpetacle for an iron ect. It seems to me to be contradict itslf in the same paragraph. Let me know what you do in your area. Thanks Guys and of course you gals too.
Posted By: spyder Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 12:40 AM
It means you can't pick up lighting, recptacles in another room off this 20 amp branch circuit. The circuit can only be used for the laundry.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 12:42 AM
I believe the intent of the rule is that the laundry cicuit shall supply no other outlets outside of the laundry room or area.
Posted By: master44 Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 12:46 AM
What if they were going to set up an ironing board in close proximity to the laundry closet but was not in the closet but around the corner in the other room. Would it be ok to have this receptacle on the laundry circuit.
Posted By: spyder Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 01:16 AM
master 44,

I would say no.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 01:43 AM
210.11 (C)(2) says....shall be provided to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s) required by 210.52(F)....

The subtitle of 210.52 (F) is Laundry Areas

As CTwireman said
or area

If I was the AHJ I would allow it, but that's just me. master44, give the AHJ a call, and tell them the circumstances, and if they give you a hard time ask them to "waive" it. Remember 90.4 Enforcement.

Waiving Good-Bye, and good luck,
Doc
Posted By: lwinter31 Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 09:41 AM
I believe it is the code panel's intention to make plural the application of 210.11 c (2) to all [210.52 (F) laundry area(s)] not the "receptacle outlet" that is sigular in (F)
Futhermore a typical washer is rated @ 10a, a typicle iron @1200va. I think a washer running and ironing clothes is a common occurence. This will skim the teeth of "noncontinuous - equal to" of 210.19 (a)

I always dedicate the laundry "washer" receptacle outlet.
Posted By: SJT Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/12/02 03:41 PM
I would agree. That is to run the washer by it's self. It's possible that the owner may get
a gas dryer. Also that could be plugged into the same ckt. I would set up 2 single outlets for that with 1-20 amp. circuit. The iron and washer going together may trip the breaker. Why take a chance?
Posted By: GEC-1 Re: Laundry Circuit - 12/14/02 12:28 AM
If I was wiring this, I would pull 12/3 to the laundry room. One hot for the washer, and one hot for the iron. If you put the two circuits on different phases, the two can share the neutral. ( the neutral has to be rated to carry the difference of the unbalanced load) Now you have one wire pulled for the two applications. It's also a good way to reduce the number of homeruns you pull in a house.
© ECN Electrical Forums