ECN Forum
Posted By: Redsy @#$!llbuster? - 12/10/02 04:49 PM
OK, you inspectors...

I had to install a kitchen countertop receptacle horizontally to fit (squeeze)between the backsplash and a window-type (no galss)opening into an add-on dining room.
The casing around the opening was wider than anticipated so the homeowner trimmed about 1/4" or less from the plate.
It was a block wall punched out to accept metal boxes with side brackets nailed to furring strips. The bracket is either behind the backsplash or the casind, I don't remember.
The inspector failed the final because the trimming of the plate violates it's UL listing. He wants the receptacle lowered, which when considering the rough installation is not going to be easy.
Any thoughts?
Posted By: sparky Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/10/02 07:07 PM
Redsy,
i'm no help, only adding a Q.....

Q~ in an instance were it a 'UL' violation is suspect does the AHJ cite via a UL # ??
Posted By: WNYJim Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/10/02 08:10 PM
Can you elongate the mounting slots in the receptacle by ¼”? That should give you enough to get the plate on. You might find that a designer style receptacle would have a little more “meat” in the area you need to elongate.
Don’t try banging a metal switch box to relocate it. You’ll pop the thing apart and have a bigger mess!
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/10/02 09:51 PM
What a jerk. This "violating the listing" has gone too far.
Posted By: Tom Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/10/02 10:45 PM
Have the homeowner install a piece of casing that has been trimmed enough to allow the installation of a standard cover.

After the inspection, replace the casing and receptacle cover.

You didn't get this idea from me.

BTW, would a metal handy box cover fill the bill?

Or, since dry location receptacle covers are not required to be listed (as far as I know), trim an unlisted cover. Of course, this will probably really get the inspector mad.

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 12-10-2002).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/11/02 12:26 AM
Redsy:
If I was the AHJ, under the circumstances, and if there were no "gaps" visable, and the box sides were not visable, it would be accepted.
As another post stated, as a last resort...replace the plate with a "full" one, cut out a piece of the casing, and after the inspection, put it back the way it is now.
BTW, I didn't suggest that....legal stuff ya know.
John
Posted By: spyder Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/11/02 12:30 AM
I have never heard of a failed inspection due to a plate that was grinded or trimmed slightly. I don't think anyone ever was injured because a plate was trimmed, its not like its a question of safety.
Posted By: Redsy Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/11/02 12:22 PM
Thanks everybody.
I still have to get back into the customers to get a good look. It's been a few months since I've been there. The homeowner has insisted on handling all the "administrative" aspects of her renovation and I thought the inspection was done, and accepted long ago.
Posted By: harold endean Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/12/02 02:16 AM
Redsy,

I agree with Hotline1, I don't see a real problem with the installation, as long as there is not shock or fire hazard. Trimming a plate 1/4" on each side might not hurt anything.

Harold
Posted By: harold endean Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/12/02 02:18 AM
Redsy,

P.S. Not all AHJ's are A**holes Having Jurisdiction. Just some of them are. [Linked Image] Once they become an AHJ sometimes the power goes to their head. They feel that 90-4 means that they can make up their own rules.

Harold
Posted By: sparky Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/12/02 10:37 AM
Harold,
i like to think we're on the same team....

Redsy,
is it that your work is so immaculant that this one innane item could be the only possible place to nit pick?
Posted By: Redsy Re: @#$!llbuster? - 12/12/02 12:02 PM
sparky,
Aww shucks. My work immaculate?
Actually, there were a few things she didn't like. It is a complicated story, with the owner being "politically connected" at the township level. She had taken it upon herself to pull everyones permit ahead of time and now has the ear of the township inspector. The bottom line is that I will do whatever it takes to make everyone (with the possible exception of myself) happy.
© ECN Electrical Forums