ECN Forum
Posted By: adroga what to do with feeder wires? - 10/15/09 08:26 PM
I have a weird question...

Just to preface I am a second year apprentice. I need to replace the gutters and fascia boards on my house, but I only have a 100 amp entrance that is below the roofline.

The feeder wires are supported by a hook that screws into the wood fascia boards that extends below the gutter.

In order to replace the fascia I need to unhook the wire support. Is it wise to leave the wires hanging from the weatherhead for a short period of time? Or possibly use a rope looped behind the weatherhead to support the wires?

Thank you for any advice...
Posted By: mikesh Re: what to do with feeder wires? - 10/15/09 11:10 PM
Get in touch with the local utility and tell them what you need to do with the facia board. You may have to install a new attachment and add reinforcing so that the facia board is not the only thing the hook is attached to. I don't know what the utility in your area requires but it is not acceptable here to just use a facia board as the only anchor for a clevis. We require something structural like one of the studs or rafters. it is likely that the utility will use a rope with bunch of half hitches attached to a temporary anchor. cover the service drop with an insulating sleeve etc so it is safe for you to change the facia board. I doubt that even as a partly trained electrician that you are allowed to touch those wires.
© ECN Electrical Forums