ECN Forum
Posted By: NORCAL More Suicide Cords...... - 07/24/09 07:32 AM
Check out this thread at a forum where I was reading...

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16546

Some folks are too clever for their own good.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/24/09 08:03 AM
It is probably no surprise that most "hurricane deaths" happen after the storm and generators are a big part of the problem. If it isn't outright electrocution from jerry rigged connections it is carbon monoxide poisoning.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/24/09 10:15 AM
"Connect two drier cords together."

Darwin Award Gold Medal contender, 2009. crazy
Posted By: noderaser Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/25/09 06:33 AM
Pull a meter around here, and you'll have a storm of @#$% to deal with... That said, I still have a bunch of authentic PoCo seals (Grandfather was a lineman) so I could probably cover my tracks if I absolutely needed to, but except for emergencies I don't go anywhere near seals. They are there for a legitimate (safety and security) reason and should not be breached by anyone but PoCo personnel.

Did I understand one of the posters correctly, who claims he uses #10 wire to jumper the connections before having a meter installed? Sounds like a Darwin-Award hopeful!
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/25/09 09:46 AM
If you trawl the net looking for info on any subject, you inevitable stumble onto blog sites or forums inhabited by boneheads with less than three working brain cells. The sheer ignorance of some of these dullards can be a sourse of endless amusement to anyone faintly versed in anything technical.

[ Examples: On a topic of a steam powered 1933 Boeing biplane: Oblivious to the fact that the plane was scrapped 75 years ago, some berk suggests fitting wing mirrors to solar power the boiler! A Glasgow moron asks for advice after pouring lard into his diesel-engined car's tank. A fellow cretin suggests adding acetone to dissolve the solid fat which has entirely clogged up the fuel line, filters and pump! laugh ]

'Mr. Supply-the-Entire-Neighborhood-with-a-Massive-2000 Watts' hasn't worked out yet that if he succesfully implements his cunning plan, just who will be paying for the generator, the gasoline and the lawyers representing the poco and the families of the victims.

Posted By: NJwirenut Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/25/09 05:19 PM
From the link:

I would like to build a giant plug that would plug into the meter socket. That would make sure no power came from the electric co. and it would fit anywhere. I would need it to be waterproof or have a water proof cover.

Such a thing (with an automatic transfer switch built-in) already exists:

http://www.generlink.com/documents/Generlink%20-%20Your%20Path%20to%20Power.pdf

Anyone out there installed one of these yet?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/25/09 08:39 PM
Load management will certainly become an issue fast with this gizmo.
Posted By: leland Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/26/09 04:04 PM
Yes it would.That looks like 20A cord.
where/how does the isolation from the poco take place?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: More Suicide Cords...... - 07/26/09 05:34 PM
I assume there is a transfer device in that adapter. That sure must be a compact 200a DPDT switch. I wonder how the PoCos feel about it.
© ECN Electrical Forums