ECN Forum
Posted By: thiggy Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/29/09 03:29 AM
I have an old family farm house with a 125 amp Square D breaker box. The service disconnect is a 100 amp Square D cartridge fuse. I have never had the main blow, but I decided that I better have a spare pair of fuses on hand just in case, as in this rural area it would be difficult to locate one in a hurry. I drove to the nearest city and located fuses at Lowes, but I am not sure which one of the two types they had should be used for my application. The heavy-duty time-delay one said it is "for motor and main panel protection. (FRN-R)" It indicated that "for lighting or electric heating circuits use general purpose fuses.(NON)" I use window AC units for cooling, and 1500 watt portable heaters for infrequent use in winter heating. Water heaters are also electric. (This is generally just a week-end house.) Which type of fuse would be the most appropriate for my use?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/29/09 05:41 AM
I would go with the FRN.
That will tolerate a short time spike in current.
The biggest opportunity for a spike in current is when you have a power glitch and the service would see locked rotor from every motor that was running at that time.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/29/09 08:28 AM
Yeah,
I agree with Greg.
You really need something with a bit of time delay on it for a main fuse.
After all, the fuse/CB that is electrically closest to the fault (ie, a sub-circuit fuse/CB) should operate first, in any electrical system.
Anything less is poor design.
Posted By: electure Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/29/09 04:19 PM
You answered your own question.

The heavy-duty time-delay one said it is "for motor and main panel protection. (FRN-R)"
Posted By: thiggy Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/29/09 05:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. I shall go with the time delay fuse. (I actually bought two of both types with the intention of returning one pair after I determined which type I should use.)
Posted By: JBD Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/30/09 12:24 AM
There is almost no reason to ever install an NON fuse. For all intents NONs are old technology, and are almost always sold based on price only.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Which Cartridge Fuse? - 06/30/09 03:36 AM
We used NONs to protect electronics and there was even a faster blowing fuse that we used for the input to switcher power supplies way back when they were a big cabinet full very expensive parts.
© ECN Electrical Forums