ECN Forum
Posted By: GETELECTRIC VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/14/08 04:59 PM
We have recently installed vfd's in exixting circuits and now one of the motors has burned out and they are blaming our VFD. The vfd s are not even programmed to do any control as of yet just off and on.
Can it be the VFD the controls company is saying that our VFD's are causing a voltage across the bearings?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/14/08 07:04 PM
What is the motor driving? Is there any chance voltage is getting transferred to the motor shaft?
I really don't see this being a VFD problem.
Posted By: twh Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 01:26 AM
That isn't logical.

However, blaming the competition for everything from bearings to bad weather is quite normal.
Posted By: Albert Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 02:12 AM
I vaguely remember reading something about this in a trade magazine (maybe EC&M). As I recall, it has to do with current spikes from the VFD's output inducing a voltage on the motor shaft via the windings, and the current arcing across the bearings and burning them.
Posted By: Albert Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 02:22 AM
Here's a paper on the topic:
http://www.aemc.fr/index.php?page=t...mp;file=200710291112-BearingCurrents.pdf
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 03:28 AM
Thanks Albert

Another timely subject! Got a call this afternoon regarding a sewage lift station pump/VFD/panel meltdown, on a 'fairly new' install. That's Mondays problem child. This PDF may be interesting reading.

Posted By: gfretwell Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 03:58 AM
interesting stuff. Surprised me.
Posted By: leland Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 04:36 AM
I recall this conversation not too long ago.

Wait For RENO Or Frenchelectrician. I believe they have the skinny on it.

Yes it did have something to do with induction.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/15/08 06:41 PM
I think the real answer is the EMI filter mentioned in the article. I would be surprised that a decent VFD wouldn't have that, just for FCC compliance.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/16/08 12:50 AM
Thanks for the vote of confidence ... but the issue is beyond my experience.

I've only seen bearings damaged by current flow, either through a fault condition, or when someone did some welding on the machine.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/16/08 06:14 AM
Thanks Lee .,

Anyway with the VFD's there is some issue what I heard and I did confirmed and there is pretty wide area to cover for this situation.

typically majorty of the VFD's should have spike filter to reduce the stray voltage/current which it will compound with long conductors.

I know it was disscused in the ECN forum here before and other electrical forum it was discussed also in depth and along the way there is few new info show up however., of my stupidty I did not save the link for the info.

And if the new motor is inverter duty it should work with VFD without any issue at all.

Merci,Marc
Posted By: harryg Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/16/08 07:12 PM
http://www.hitachi.us/supportingdoc...nimizing%20Motor%20Bearing%20Current.pdf
Posted By: JValdes Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/16/08 07:30 PM
I see this bearing pitting sometimes and each time it is the VFD. The solution is insulated bearings. There are other solutions but changing the bearing will eliminate the issue.
It is caused by induced voltage transfered to the motor shaft.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/17/08 03:47 PM
I can't seem to open Alberts attachment. The VFD is a Siemens And the motor is about 50' away.
Posted By: JValdes Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 11/17/08 06:48 PM
Do you have a load reactor installed. These reactors can and do prevent unwanted harmonics at the motor. They also clean up the simulated sign wave produced by the VFD.
Do not confuse the load reactor with the line reactor. Both are relatively the same with the exception being that the load reactor is installed close to the drive just like the line reactor but is connected to the output leads of the drive.
However, 50 feet is not considered a great distance to any drive or motor manufacturer. Considerations are usually discussed at lengths exceeding 100 feet.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 01/07/09 10:02 PM
Well we installed a new motor and now this motor is doing the same thing...screaming, it took a couple of weeks for it to get this loud.This motor is only 45' from VFD.Load test shows two phases 9amps and one 7 amps.I don't know what could be the cause?
Posted By: jraef Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 01/09/09 07:18 AM
The phenomenon is called "bearing fluting" and is similar to EDM (Electric Discharge Machining). A voltage potential builds up between the rotor and the frame and the current flows across the bearing races. But because the bearings are rolling around in the race, the discharge is not continuous so it builds up until it is high enough to "jump the gap" between the bearing and the race. As time goes on, the rate of build-up and discharge becomes repeatable and every time it happens, the race is damaged a tiny bit. But eventually, the damaged areas help facilitate the process so it gets worse and worse.

Reactors and such don't really help much. The true fix is what is called a "grounding bushing" on the motor shaft. There are a few available, but the most widely used one is from a company called Aegis.

http://www.est-aegis.com/
Posted By: JValdes Re: VFD BURNING OUT MOTOR BEARING - 01/09/09 06:38 PM
I have seen this happen on several occasions. The only easy fix is to use ceramic bearings. They are insulated so they cannot transfer voltage. I have seen load reactors help to some degree on long runs. The change to insulated bearings will eliminate the issue. I would get the drive and motor manufacturer involved.

The idea mentioned above will work too. It is just much easier to change out the bearings. Not necessarily on your dime either.

ps.....Check the carrier frequency (Hz). Set it as low as possible.
© ECN Electrical Forums