ECN Forum
Posted By: crselectric required gen. use receptacles, apt bldgs - 10/25/08 12:06 AM
where can I find info about required outlets in gen. areas of apt. bldgs. I know what I recommend, but also would like to know whats minimally req. by owner for tenant use. cannot seem to find in any code I'm familiar with. mostly done single family homes, and repairs. the owners bought a new bldg, and some tenants have run extension cords for outdoor water features, elec. scooter charger, and also run extension cords from laundry equip. recept.s to garages, the garages only have a overhead or wall light as orig. As I'm replacing a fuse panel with breakers for storage area/laundry room I want to know whats minimally required. thanks in advance. chris
I am not sure there are any NEC rules about required receptacles in the common areas beyond what you need to service equipment and appliances. (210.50(C) & 210.63)
There are lighting outlet requirements in the life safety code for the egress routes.
You may also have more guidance in the building code. I know Florida has adopted the NEC unaltered state wide but when they want something beyond the NEC (like bonding steel studs) they put it in the building code.
So if I under stand 210.63 We should have a gfi for servicing equipment, as the hvac guys took out steam heat for foiced air some years ago, all in the common laundry room/ basement area of bldg, as I'm replacing too small a house fuse panel and moving laundry receptacle for accessibility, I believe Ihave to put washer and dryer on seperate circuits, currently shared with outlets on stairway landings, not sure if those are original yet, or were added later to the exist wiring. chris
Just remember the NEC is not a design manual. You sell electrical equipment installations and the bottom line is you should walk away when it is all done with a happy customer. If you and the customer agree there should be more receptacles sell them some. I have never heard anyone say they have too many receptacles. You may want some outside that are switched from the management controlled areas so they have some control of their use.
Section 210 is the primary area of the NEC that addresses these issues. Things to consider:
1) Hallway receptacles for the vacuum;
2) Accessible receptacles outside each entrance;
3) Receptacles for holiday lighting;
4) Light switches on very landing, and both ends of hallways (unless "always on;' but I suspect your energy code would want them sensor or timer controlled);
5) Don't forget chases for access controls, cable TV cables, etc.;
6) Grounding provision for that cluster of satellite dishes;
7) Current NEC calls for laundry outlets in each unit - no more common laundry rooms!; and,
8) Please provide a way to turn on the outside lights, without climbing on the roof!
© ECN Electrical Forums