ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy Huge Main Switches - 11/24/02 05:12 AM
With a recent factory upgrade, I had the
un-enviable task of throwing the Main Isolator, back into service, and got the handle stuck half way, I heard and saw welding of the contacts inside the Isolator
(1000A@400V).
How would you go about opening or closing a
High current Isolator, have I got it all wrong?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-26-2002).]
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Huge Main Switches - 11/24/02 04:39 PM
What I have allways done is;

Remove as much load as possible.

When you go to throw the switch, commit to the action and close it fast and hard.

If you have a chance to examine the switch de-energised always take the opportunity to do it. Often these switches haven't been moved in years and then we expect them to operate like new. A little lubrication helps a bunch.

GJ

GJ
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Huge Main Switches - 11/25/02 04:40 AM
An "ACB" is mentioned, and on the North-American continent, there are 3 types of breaker construction in that range—air-{frame}, insulated-case and molded-case. In my experience, air-frame breakers are generally "rackable," meaning they can be mechanically exercised/checked to operate in a test position—unenergized.

After the fact, I would want to determine if the fault duty was too high, and if the breaker manufacturer provided any maintenance instructions. Sounds like you were able to sidestep a potentially serious accident. Because of the breaker misoperation, it integral ground-fault protection may have been useless.

In the US, NFPA 70E {Electrical Safety Requirements for Employee Workplaces} calls for evaluation of arc-blast hazards, and appropriate personal protective equipment.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Huge Main Switches - 11/26/02 05:15 AM
Sorry, the part that said ACB, should have read Isolator, this is now amended.
Have since locked off the supply and cleaned the contacts and lubed the operating mechanism, works like a charm, now.
But this was an old metal-clad unit(the norm
in Industrial installations, over here). [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Huge Main Switches - 11/26/02 10:37 PM
In the US, NEMA {nema.org} has somewhat applicable standards that are on line—ICS2.3-1995 Annex A ‘Maintenance of Motor Controllers After a Fault Condition.’

These are basically common sense, but seem worth reviewing. Handy for establishing that endless “paper trail.”
© ECN Electrical Forums