ECN Forum
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Irrigation Motors! - 08/01/08 07:20 PM
Hey guys does anyone here in business of well pumps, irrigation electrical?
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/12/08 09:14 PM
NoBody here is in the business of well pumps, Irrigation stuff? WOW!
Posted By: electure Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/12/08 10:58 PM
It might help if you tell us what you're getting at.

Otherwise, a yes or no answer is all that this question requires.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/13/08 12:37 AM
My wife suddenly is (her golf course community has a dozen lakes and some ornamental ponds) which means I work on Aerators and pumps now.
What do you have going on?
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/13/08 01:09 PM
Thinking about getting into business of irrigation side of electrical. First I want to get into service side of it and then slowly do the whole thing. so I need some advice or tips if this is a good route to take. I'm really good with motor controls.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/13/08 05:32 PM
Most of this is really fairly simple stuff but it gets complicated by the fact that the motors are usually out in the weather, not in a mechanical room.
Your typical call is ants in the "bell" gumming up the start contacts.
I suppose a lot depends on what your typical customer is irrigating. I am thinking about golf courses and residential.
Around here your competition will be an (electrically) unlicensed guy who does this as part of his landscaping business. The AHJ seems to have a fairly blind eye about this and the labor people seem happy if the guy has any kind of license/insurance at all. (mostly that they have enough green cards to go around on any given day) They certainly exceed the scope of what most of us would call landscaping.
Posted By: maintenanceguy Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/13/08 11:40 PM
My experience is that the irrigation contractor installs the system including any booster pump, motor, timer and all low voltage control wiring and has an EC come in after the fact to provide electric to the motor and timer.
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/14/08 01:14 PM
Yes you are right! they come in and install everything and they also have a electrician on staff too. I'm thinking more on the service side to startoff. For example let say the control voltage transformer burns up, or mag starter heaters are bad or any other electrical issue with troubleshooting, or someone's control panel is too old, they want to replace the whole thing. I'm thinking I can charge them for a service call+parts.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/14/08 02:08 PM
Seems like an overly narrow focus ... sort of like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Who will call you? The property manager, or the irrigation guy? Those are the folks who you need to get to know.
Then there is the issue of 'why call you?' You need to be able to state your abilities clearly, and in a manner that the customer can understand.

By it's very nature, farming is a seasonal business. What do you plan to do the rest of the year?
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/14/08 04:28 PM
Maybe there is an "electrician" on staff in some union dominated state but down here in "right to work land" these things get fixed by a handyman kinda guy. Everyone seems surprised that my wife actually does hire a licensed electrician but he usually works for free golf games and used cooking grease for his truck.
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/15/08 01:18 PM
Well like I said In the begining, just an idea, If I do it that would be part of it. First I have get my name out there so they can call me. I've made flyer already, just getting ready to post em. there are lot of ranchers here where I live. I'll be doing other things at the same time.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/15/08 05:36 PM
You don't really have anything to lose trying and you might actually find a little niche market.
Posted By: JValdes Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/21/08 03:40 PM
www.wegelectric.com
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/26/08 07:00 PM
If you are considering entering the "big time" I did see the word "rancher" up there which implies center pivots and the like to me. Be sure you understand flow rates and application requirements at different pressures and some fluid flow theory: most high end or large scale agricultural irrigation equipment is very specialized and very costly. A under or over spec'd system may end up costing you a lot of money. The pump is but one component of several dozen. Putting something in and then discovering that you are irrigating unevenly or not sufficiently is likely going to cost you $$$$ to fix, not to mention the liability you would have to have to cover for 3000 of someone's almond trees lost due to your incompetence.
Posted By: HighVoltageGuru Re: Irrigation Motors! - 08/29/08 01:02 PM
Thanks Ann. I'm just thinking about to sticking to the electrical side troubleshooting, I understand flow rates and pressures. I dont want make this my only business and time to time I will jump in. Thinking about contacting the local pump service companies to let them know that know that I can take care the electrical for them as a sub to them. But you are absolutley right about the insurance part. It can be costly.
© ECN Electrical Forums