ECN Forum
Posted By: WJH 15kV Underground - Spare Conduits - 11/22/02 10:11 PM
We are working on a meat packing plant that will have a 15kV lineup of outdoor metal-enclosed load interrupter switchgear. These switches will feed pad mount transformers (underground concrete encased PVC ductbank) which will serve 480/277V main-tie-main switchboards located throughout the facility. Should we provide a spare conduit for each 15 kV feeder? Pros? Cons?
I wouldn't provide one if it is not provided for in your contract. It's funny that you should ask because every medium voltage ductbank that I've ever been involved in had a spare conduit in it. That especially holds true for primary coming from the utility.
Hit the customer up for an extra. If they ever have a failure without an extra conduit to pull in a new feeder, they may regret having not provided one while the project is under construction.

Extra Change, Bling, bling,
Doc
Posted By: fedup Re: 15kV Underground - Spare Conduits - 11/24/02 02:37 PM
the major cost in installing your ductbank is in the excavation and placement of concrete.An extra 5" conduit won't add to much to the cost.If the runs are long I would intall steel 90's have seen the pull rope burn through pvc more times than I would care to say
© ECN Electrical Forums