ECN Forum
Posted By: Chris Simms Hammer Drill Recomdations - 07/12/08 10:25 PM
I need to purchace a hammer drill and attachment for driving ground rods
Any suggestions? Around 500.00
Thanks
Chris
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Hammer Drill Recomdations - 07/12/08 10:33 PM
First of all, you do not want a 'hammer drill." You want either a 'roto hammer' or 'demolition hammer.'

The Roto hammer will need to be large enough to take either SDS-Max or Spline bits. (Spline drive is pretty much out of favor). If it's a demolition hammer, it will have take hex shanks, either 3/4 or 1 1/8".

For the money you want to spend, and the relative rare use the tool will see, I suggest you consider the Harbor Freight offerings. Tool snobbery aside, I have found this "Cheap Chinese junk" to perform quite adequately in these particular tools.

If your area is particularly rocky, or you also need to take apart post light bases, I suggest you 'up the ante' to about $900, and get Makita's 35# (half size) jackhammer.

While any of these tools will drive the rod without using a bit, I always use a bit. I see no reason to risk the tool by not having a bit in place. Ground rod driving bits cost about $60.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Hammer Drill Recomdations - 07/13/08 01:40 AM
I have a Hilti TE-75 that I bought used off of e-bay for $475 plus shipping. Bought the bit to drive ground rods with and never regretted it. Wont drive one thru rock, but not much rock around here anyway.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Hammer Drill Recomdations - 07/14/08 01:10 PM
I'll throw in another vote for Hilti Chris. I've never had a days grief from any of my Hilti power tools.

I would never ignore advise from reno though, so consider cost vs. intended use and good luck on your decision.
© ECN Electrical Forums