ECN Forum
Posted By: Zapped Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/11/08 11:37 PM
I think we linked to an article on this forum a few years ago about this low-wattage lamp. Now, it's 107 yrs and counting. they just don't make em like they used to...

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lightbulb5-2008may05,0,3217216,full.story
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/12/08 02:38 AM
It looks like it is running at about 50% of the rated voltage. I bet if you put a 240v lamp in your luminaires at home they would last forever too.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/12/08 10:34 AM
It's still incredibile, though.
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/13/08 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell
It looks like it is running at about 50% of the rated voltage. I bet if you put a 240v lamp in your luminaires at home they would last forever too.

Bet they wouldn't.

HP
Posted By: Ann Brush Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/13/08 12:50 PM
I bet if you took a 1000 long-life rough treatment 240V bulbs and put them in 110V surge suppressed and line conditioned sockets several of them would last 100 years.

They just happen to have noticed that that bulb has lasted that long, numerous bulbs - exactly similar and made by the same company have burned out long ago, we just don't keep track of them. We also don't run them on a line conditioner and surge suppressor. Does not surprise me in the least.
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/13/08 01:44 PM
I have some 20 year old "sign bulbs" that are still working. In fact I have never replaced one. That is what I have in all the lights over my screen cage.
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/14/08 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by gfretwell

Does it say that in the article?
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/14/08 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ann Brush
I bet if you took a 1000 long-life rough treatment 240V bulbs and put them in 110V surge suppressed and line conditioned sockets several of them would last 100 years.

They just happen to have noticed that that bulb has lasted that long, numerous bulbs - exactly similar and made by the same company have burned out long ago, we just don't keep track of them. We also don't run them on a line conditioner and surge suppressor. Does not surprise me in the least.

Does it say that the bulb is installed on a surge and line conditoner?

It's a 4 watt bulb with a VERY thick filament.

HP
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Oldest Operational Lamp - 05/14/08 11:13 AM
They also said "battery". So, not only is it surge and line conditioned, it's also on UPS. Not a cheap one, I hope...

I LOLled at the part about batting it for luck and tossing nerf balls at it until they realized how old it was.
© ECN Electrical Forums