ECN Forum
Posted By: Jordan Your Tools - 03/26/08 02:33 AM
Hey guys please posts pics of your tools pouches and power tools to see what I need to get started in the trade with tools!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 02:41 AM
There are plenty of discussions on this topic so far.

Your employer ought to be able to provide a list.

If you're really getting started, the employer ought to supply the necessary broom, shovel, etc.
Posted By: KJ Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 02:46 AM
pencil and notepad
Posted By: Zapped Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 12:22 PM
lol reno!
Posted By: BryanInBalt Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan
Hey guys please posts pics of your tools pouches and power tools to see what I need to get started in the trade with tools!

As the others have alluded to...
the general principle is that you don't to own an "X" until you have learned how to use and "X" and have some notion of how frequently it will be used in order to judge whether to get the very best "X" made or whether a lower grade/priced "X" will meet YOUR needs.

Your employer and your JM will provide the opportunities you need to be able to accomplish the above.
Posted By: ChicoC10 Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 05:17 PM
Hi Jordan,

As you may have noticed its going to take some doing to gain a little respect in the trade:) Hang in there!

The most important tool you already own. It's kept between your ears. Don't let anything happen to it!

The only other thing of equal importance is going to be your attitude. Are you prepared to be responsible, dependable and helpful in any way you can? Can you remain positive while performing unpleasant tasks?

If not then don't bother wasting any money on expensive tools. The first few months of employment will most likely be spent proving you have what it takes.
Prove that your trainable and you will be trained. Be trained and you will be respected.
I'm not saying let yourself be abused. Some guys get a little too much sadistic pleasure out of breaking in the new guy.
Just expect to work hard, listen closely, and take some chiding and know that in the end it will be worth it.
Posted By: leland Re: Your Tools - 03/26/08 07:16 PM
Just expect to work hard, listen closely, and take some chiding and know that in the end it will be worth it. --

And if you pay attention and do the other things listed above.

You WILL have an opertunity to "chide" your forman.
They do make rooky mistakes some times.But if your not on your toes...you'll miss the chance.

Good luck and welcome to the trade!!!!
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Your Tools - 03/27/08 01:25 AM
No pic but here is my list.

WD-40 - For items that should move but don't
Duct tape - For items that move that should't
Hammer - For items that the WD-40 should have get moving but couldn't.
Bailing wire - when the hammer was overused
Anything else is just an accessory
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: Your Tools - 03/27/08 01:42 AM
All kiddin' aside, Tools are like different models of trucks. Some swear by a certain model while other swear at them.

You employer ought give a list on what they expect you to provide and the type of work will dicate which tools you will normally tote in you pouch. There are different brands out there the do the samething but fits different in the everyones hand and perform a little different.

A good quailty tool geneally pays for themselves despite their higher price. If your job allows you, I would invest in a tool box for those tools that you may use on an occasion but does not warrant to carry in the pouch. No one wants to pay you to run out to yor rig just for a tool.

Warranty replacement can help you decide which tools to purchase. Like for me for example, my tool box has Ace Hardware wrenchs and sockets because there is an Ace hardware store in each town in the area I work but only one electrical warehous in an area the size of Florida. I use Kline screwdrivers for the quality. I am not too worried about the warranty because I will either void the warranty by beating on them or lose them before they break. smile
Posted By: ultramegabob Re: Your Tools - 04/01/08 02:03 AM
my rule is, if you borrow it three times, you need to buy one....
Posted By: Gmack Re: Your Tools - 04/01/08 10:18 PM
Spend the $25.00 and buy it first and have it with you always.

It is called a voltage tester.

Learn how to use it from more than one journeyman.

Im talking analog not digital.

BTW, when that Wiggy snaps loudly it means what it sounds like, "Danger High Voltage"

Good luck.

Disclaimer added. Learn the difference of 600 volts and below as opposed to "High Voltage" above 600 volts.

Dont test with a Wiggy.

Posted By: KJ Re: Your Tools - 04/02/08 01:23 AM
seriously,
to do this right, you need a quality tape measure, preferably one witha replacement warranty, like greenlee, or craftsman,
i personally use craftsman screwdrivers, (i just dont like buying tools everytime i wear them out,and craftsman are great for replacing worn tools,)i like the klein d2139necr crimp stlye yellow handle 9 inch linemans pliers,and a good ideal brand wire stripper,and a romex nm cable stripper, if you use it alot, a good 12 inch hacksaw with a fine tooth blade,
a 9 inch magnetic torpedo level,a set of nut drivers,or a stsandard socket set, both the large and small set of multi allen wrenches,a new sharpie marker(i carry multipack, with all the basic electrical colors(red,black,blue,white,green)and brown orange and yellow, if you use 277/480 often),a hammer,a nail apron, and a tool pouch, or bucket with a liner pouch.any power tools, ladders, etc will come with time, and whatever contractor/company you work for will have them at your disposal during apprenticeship.
having a current codebook,and a notebook and pen are always an asset too.
listen with your ears, not your mouth, pay attentin, always test before you cut, live and learn.take your time, avoid mistakes, be neat, and clean up your area when you are done.

most of all, have fun.
Posted By: walrus Re: Your Tools - 04/02/08 10:34 AM
What a person needs for tools varies with the job they are going to do. Residential guys don't need the same tools as an industrial guy.
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: Your Tools - 04/02/08 10:38 AM
Everyone needs a good pocketknife, though. And I mean everyone, regardless of profession!
Posted By: KJay Re: Your Tools - 04/02/08 11:53 PM
laugh Ahh Come on...
Show the kid some pictures laugh of those nifty Harbor Freight Tools !! laugh laugh

Sorry, I couldn't resist grin
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Your Tools - 04/03/08 12:06 AM
Don't tempt me ... laugh
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Your Tools - 04/05/08 05:52 AM
there are two tools that are always in my pocket on a jobsite, a 10-in-1 screwdriver (I actually like the Ace brand one, I've never broken one of the bits, and I lose the pieces too often to consider a Klein) and a pair of Klein wire stripers, just about everything else depends on the job.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Your Tools - 04/05/08 03:01 PM
My situations different from the OP's, but here's my list at school:

Klein wire cutters
Klein wire strippers (with the blue handle and plier tips)
No name linemans pliers
Klein flathead screwdriver (although I'm taking in a 10-in-1)
Stanley utility knife w/ an extra blade
No name broom
No name shovel
No name dustpan

If I had to carry any of them around, it would be the screwdriver, wire strippers and the knife.

Ian A.
Posted By: bindi Re: Your Tools - 04/06/08 08:21 AM
I work primarily in maintenance, with some installation work thrown in for good measure. in my bag, and what i'd recommend, is;

pliers, sidecutters and long nose pliers, 2 pairs of multigrips, 2 8" shifters, 3meter tape measure, a terminal, medium and really big flatblade screwdriver, and terminal and medium phillips head, large hammer, flat bastard file. 1" paint brush, stanley knife, metric and imperial ball ended allen keys, tap wrench and a fluke T1000 voltage tester/multimeter.

I almost always have a pen, notebook and a smal torch in my pocket, as well as the terminal screwdriver.

also, i have a hacksaw, hammer, conduit cutters, crimpers back in my cupboard if i need it.

At work, I don't have to worry about power tools or ladders, as they are supplied by the company. Most of my hand tools are sidchrome, and i was happy enough with these to buy almost the equivalent for home.

I did have a 6" steel ruler which was invaluable for lifting my sandwhices out of the press.

your union may have a list of what tools are expected of each employee, though of course you may add to it.
© ECN Electrical Forums