ECN Forum
Posted By: sparkync Generac generator panel problem - 03/20/08 11:28 PM
I went to check a job where I had installed a Generac generator panel a while back when I changed the service. A car had hit a pole and knocked the power off the neighborhood. The customer said all the power came back on but her receptacle outlets. I went out to check it out and found the generator switch had "welded itself" in the closed position ( could not turn to the off position or to the generator position) but had no power going through it. This was the first time, as far as I know, that they had lost power, and they have never had to use their generator, which is a portable 8000 wt. or so. Anyone ever had this problem with Generac switches before? I told her she probably needs to get in touch with them for warranty replacement. This panel came "free" with the purchase of her generator. I had to bypass the generator panel on this circuit to get her receptacles going again..
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: Generac generator panel problem - 03/21/08 12:26 AM
When you say generator switch, are you referring to the Transfer switch? is it a automatic or a manual? How long has she had it? Standard Warranty is 2 years from date she mailed in warranty card. I have never put in a manual switch all automatics, but I have had issues with just about every component on a guardian generator from the engine to the stator. Their Quality control has gone down hill the last 3-4 years.
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Generac generator panel problem - 03/21/08 12:42 AM
Did the contacts weld? I seen in the auto units where the plunger sticks. Maybe a solenoid is staying on not alowing the plunger to move.

Better off not geting involved with it as it's a warrenty repair and your not getting paid to do it.
Posted By: sparkync Re: Generac generator panel problem - 03/22/08 12:43 AM
It's a manual unit. The switch is welded in the "open" position, but no power going through. I changed the service on the house and this was part of the upgrade she was wanting. The unit should still be under warranty if there is a 2 year on it. It's been about a year probably since I installed it. The unit itself just snaps together. I couldn't get it unsnapped, so I just disconnected it at the main panel and put it on a "normal" circuit. I'm not really getting involved, except as to try to help her if I can, determine what to do. Of course if she does get a replacement, I'll have to go out and replace it for her, so I'll probably have to charge her for it, or do it at a discount???
© ECN Electrical Forums