ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Your call..... - 11/16/02 12:20 PM
This thread per master66 has me wondering.
All of us here concere on those obvious violations that would be a safety issue.
But what of those small indiscressions?
Are there 'small no-no's' that are of little concern?
I say this because i interact with the DIY'er crowd here quite frequently.
This is not out of choice, it goes with the turf here, however it does leave that hypoctritical afetrtaste.... [Linked Image]

Let me give you an example, respond as a contractor....

Lamp post install, homeowner has instaled 3/4" black well pipe home to lamp, and wishes me to wire out to it through this

your call.....
Posted By: walrus Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 12:36 PM
Pull UF into it, whats the big deal [Linked Image]
Posted By: mj Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 04:56 PM
i would not do it, i would tell the homeower that this is improper material.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 05:16 PM
I think sparkys showing just one small example of DIYers who want to contribute there unexperienced time in the field to improper installations. Imagine what would happen if we all took the law into our own hands.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 05:17 PM
I'd run the uf through. I think this is a little better then just uf cable. Offers a little protection. I would make sure they burried it at the proper depth. I like to think there is a little bit of "wiggle room" with the NEC when it comes to real world installations providied there is no life safety issue.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 06:22 PM
Sparky,

What are the end fittings like, or is this only a straight run?

Is the exposed end deburred, or is there a sharp edge that can chafe the UF?

Lastly, since this is not RMC or IMC, 300.5 Column 2 is out. Is this buried at 12" or deeper?

If all the answers are within bounds, pull in UF and hook it up.

Al
Posted By: scjohn Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 06:53 PM
How long of a pull? How many 90's? Will you be able to pull 14/2 uf through 3/4?
John

[This message has been edited by scjohn (edited 11-16-2002).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 08:39 PM
What are the end fittings like, or is this only a straight run?
it appears to be a fairly straight run...

Is the exposed end deburred, or is there a sharp edge that can chafe the UF?
it could be deburred, or have an actual well pipe fitting installed to make into a jb
(house end), or have a plastic bushing placed on said wellpump fitting (i think it'll fit..)

Lastly, since this is not RMC or IMC, 300.5 Column 2 is out. Is this buried at 12" or deeper
a good Q, the owner says a foot but....
btw, i was thinking column #4 (GFI it...)

How long of a pull? How many 90's? Will you be able to pull 14/2 uf through 3/4?
about 50' give or take, 12 or 14 should not be a problem...
Imagine what would happen if we all took the law into our own hands
you make the thread's point for me Wirenuttt, i potentially would be doing exactly that, however small the violation is.
However exacting we as contractors may be, i doubt we qualify to wear halo's , we all toss the proverbial coin...
(but you knew that....)
[Linked Image]
On the other tentacle, even a small mistake could blossom into major litigation..
[Linked Image from anomalies-unlimited.com]

so~, my options appear to be.....

1~'read 'em there rights, assume said 'wiggle room' and just do it....

2~ 'write it up' on thier bill, placing any known liability for future nearsighted gardeners on the owner....

3~ walk away.
right past thier well casing , which has a pump feed via the very same 3/4" well pipe!
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 11-16-2002).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 10:50 PM
If it is black IRON pipe it will rust, become jagged and damage the cable. If it is plastic and it is 12" deep I guess UF pulled in would be OK.
I would prefer to avoid the whole "DIY Helper" mess altogether.
Posted By: walrus Re: Your call..... - 11/16/02 11:59 PM
Except for burial depth, I don't see any problems with this at all. UF can be direct buried so what difference does it make if it is installed in plastic pipe that is direct buried?. Do you know these folks? if not I guess I could see some concern.
Posted By: master66 Re: Your call..... - 11/17/02 03:42 AM
"2~ 'write it up' on thier bill, placing any known liability for future nearsighted gardeners on the owner...."

Even if you would write it up you are still liable or at the very least you could be sued if anything would happen.

You know, being in business for myself I'm used to looking at situations with concern for liability as well as safety and code compliance.

People that work for someone don't seem to care as much about anything because it wasn't their house that they had to put up to start the business and if thier work is screwd up and causes injury or property loss all you can do them is fire them. They don't have to pay the liability insurance premiums.

Here is a little story about how liability works.

When I first started my business, a man hired me to rewire 1/2 of a duplex home that he had purchased.

He tore out the walls down to the bare studs and removed all of the existing wiring. He and his teenage son helped me by pulling wire, mounting boxes, etc.

Part of the job involved a new circuit and surface mounted receptacle for a new electric range that he had not purchased yet.

When we pulled the wire to the range location he asked me not to mount the receptacle to the floor yet because the vynal floor was not installed. He said that he would mount the receptacle after he put the flooring down.

I connected the wires inside the receptacle and put the cover on without mounting it.

About a year or so later the house caught on fire.

The cause of the fire was determined to be the unmounted range receptacle.

The insurance investigator told me that if there had been holes in the floor where screws had been it would not have been my fault.

My insurance company paid $17,000.00 in damages.

In the ten years that I was in business that was the only claim that I ever had on my liability insurance company.

So, when people tell me that the little things can be overlooked or let go I always tell them this story.

Remember, every time that you do something that isn't quite just right according to the code, you make a decision, right there right then, to accept liability for any damages or harm caused to property or persons. Even the smallest things, like two .03 cent screws could end up costing you a lot of money and a lot of trouble.

Luckily, in my situation, no one was hurt.

Makes you think... Doesen't it.?
Posted By: sparky Re: Your call..... - 11/17/02 11:04 AM
Makes you think... Doesen't it.?
it sure does master66, good post!
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Your call..... - 11/17/02 06:22 PM
M'66,

Yeah, Man... Thanks for sharing that.
Posted By: SJT Re: Your call..... - 11/21/02 03:13 PM
Sounds like a close one! I had done a service upgrade on a home that was on the water a few years ago. A few weeks after I done the job I heard that the guy had a fire in the house. There was a Bad storm here on Long Island and the water level came up into the guys house. The salt water had splashed into the oil burner
and a fire resulted, damaging the entire house. No one was killed except for his cat. He had called me and asked me why did'nt his breaker trip off for the oil burner? I had told him there is no guarantee when salt water rushes into the house and the oil burner sparks and something bad happens. I felt sorry for the family. It left the same impression in my mind, that is DO GOOD WORK AND DO IT RIGHT!
Thanks for reading this. Go with the Gut feeling of doing the job right and to code.
Be safe
Posted By: sparky Re: Your call..... - 11/21/02 10:31 PM
update,
the well pump 3/4" was installed by an excavator.

Around here excavators assume they know everything about anything that goes 'in da ground' , and operate as such.

So,i told the GC to stuff it, and if he didn't like it to have said excavator gimme a call.

So now i'm a prima donna
© ECN Electrical Forums