ECN Forum
Posted By: aldav53 Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/29/08 06:40 AM
Checked a job today that had a late 50's "Touch Plate Electro Systems Inc" Relay System. Customer said previously one reley would go out and it would cause several buttons for other lights that wouldn't work.
Anyone ever come across an older (X-10 look alike) but with lighted buttons and relays, (not progammable of course) system like this and how they are wired roughly? First I've seen in 30 years of work.
Posted By: iwire Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/29/08 10:12 AM
Check out this link, it has manuals, diagrams, parts etc.

Touch Plate
Posted By: venture Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/29/08 07:21 PM
There can be many switches in each location, I have found the - wire broken on the swithch plate cause this kind of problem. Also a stuck relay can cause this. This is the most common problems I come across. Rod
Posted By: BigB Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/30/08 12:38 AM
also a stuck switch will disable all the other relays on that power supply.
Posted By: trollog Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/30/08 01:39 AM
the power units also go bad every 40 years or so and cause erratic operation of the relays. It can be a subtle thing sometimes. If all other fixes fail, check how much voltage the power unit is putting out. 28 volts or so if I remember correctly. Its been a few years since I touched one of these. Relay cabinet of every one I have ever seen was a rat's nest horror of wiring for some reason. Maybe guys don't want to stay up in those hot attics a moment longer than necessary...
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 01/31/08 03:32 AM
Dale electric supply sells parts for those.
Posted By: jdo1942 Re: Older "Touch Plate" brand relay system - 02/01/08 07:15 PM
Touch plate system is the the oldest low voltage switching there is. They are a 12 vac system and you can use a 12 v continuous duty relay and standard light switch to replace them. The original "lite touch" system was a two wire system as where newer lower low voltage systems were a three wire system with latching relays, GE RR7. I have repaired them with the 12 volt relays from Grainger---it works.

Joe Ogle
© ECN Electrical Forums