ECN Forum
Posted By: Wirenuttt Inspectors - 11/14/02 02:43 AM
Do inspectors have to be licensed in the state they inspect for weather it's a city or region?

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-13-2002).]
Posted By: Tom Re: Inspectors - 11/14/02 10:52 PM
Here in the Mountain State- governmental inspector are appointed or hired & it doesn't matter if they can spell electricity. I, on the other hand, doing inspections on my own had to pass 2 nationally recognized tests.

All this is about to change slightly. Our legislature passed a licensing law that will require all electrical inspectors (mine inspectors exempt) to hold a WV Master License and pass any other test as determined by the State Fire Marshal. I can hear some of those city inspectors shaking in their boots. But make no mistake, this is just another tax on the working man.

Tom
Posted By: nesparky Re: Inspectors - 11/14/02 11:07 PM
In NE an inspector must hold a journeyman or master/contractor license and pass the IAEI test to be an inspector. All inspectors are govermental employees either state or local city/county. All inspectors have to be acceptable to the state board.
This is getting rid of "uncle Joe" the one man town jack of all trades inspector unless "uncle Joe" is/was a licensed electrician.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Inspectors - 11/15/02 01:01 AM
Wirenutt:
Here in NJ Inspectors are state licensed.
Levels are: ICS & HHS, then Electrical Sub-Code, and if you desire Construction Official. Basically ICS is resi & light comm, HHS is everything. "Sub-Code" is like the cheif electrical inspector and Const. Official is the administrator of the "Construction Office" (Administration) We also have a T.A.C.O., who is responsible for running the office. (And a whole lot more)

All of the above positions require stste lic.
To qualify for Inspector, you must be a electrical contractor first. I believe the time is 5 years. Sub-Code is 7 yrs and CO is 10 years.

BTW, the Building, Plumbing, Fire, all have the same basic set-up, and the CO can have a "TECH" licence in any of the disciplines.

John
© ECN Electrical Forums