ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 09:52 PM
Anyone use this model of Milwaukee drill?

http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/0234-6.html

Good points, problems, things to watch?

The online reviews I've found so far all seem to be quite positive, and rate this older style 0234 model as being better in many ways than the newer 0299 etc. series.

Opinions?
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 10:15 PM
I believe iI have the older version. I think its a greta trill lots of torque.
ob
Posted By: Sixer Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 10:21 PM
We've got 2 of them and had them for a few years. They are the best drills we've had so far - lots of power. We've pushed those drills to the limit with no problems. I had to replace the cord on one - drill jammed and employee was standing on cord. The cord ripped from the quick lock connection. Now I have a spare cord on hand.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 10:21 PM
This is a good drill, just remember to remove the cord when you put it in the case, as is so with most tools you have to bend the cord sharply to put it in its case, over time the cord will give up.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 10:36 PM
Milwaukee has long had a reputation for having extremely durable, powerful drills. I have but a few points for you to consider:

1) The drill has a removable twist-lock type cord, that attached to a socket in the end of the drill handle. Lose this special cord, and getting a replacement might be a PITA;

2) The 'stay on' lock button is placed so as to be accidentally engaged if you hold the drill in the left hand;

3) The 'more power' aspect of this drill has resulted in many a sore / broken wrist, or the operator being spun off the ladder; and,

4) If it's drilling torque you need .... might I suggest an impact driver instead? Whether driving screws, drilling through timbers, or using a step-bit to enlarge holes in sheet metal ... I have been very well impressed by the impact driver.
Indeed, the impact driver also has a shorter 'length' across the top .... with the effect that it can easily fit in many places where before you needed an angle drill. Plus, there is absolutely no 'twist' felt in the handle by the user.

I mean, here's a fact: Last September I loaded this very drill on my truck, as well as a 'close quarter' drill, a 'Hole-Hawg,' and a 9.6v impact driver. Since then, I have yet to use the 'normal' drill, and have used the close-quarter and hole-hawg exactly once. The impact has been in continuous service. Indeed, yesterday I was up a pole, using it to drive 1/4" lag bolts.
Posted By: leland Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/19/08 11:28 PM
Great drill. Mine has outlasted the case (10+ yrs). Replaced brushes etc a few times,thats it.

As RENO states, very strong, I've had many a sore wrist and bruised knuckles from it and all most off a ladder a few times.

I must be the only one here with out the impact driver (electric).
Posted By: walrus Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 02:20 AM
I don't have an impact as of yet, I have 28v milwaukee and they don't make an impact that would be useful for driving screws, might be nice for lug nuts smile
I can see an impact for working in wood but most of my stuff is in steel so I don't see much value

Paul
Thats good drill, the cords are widely available and they don't fall out of the drill. I believe the cord fits other Milwaukee stuff also, sawzall for one??
Posted By: Check Pilot Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 04:45 AM
We use one a lot of the time. Except for the idiot cord connection that model is a superbly designed and manufactured drill. It was great for wood stud drilling and rough in work all the time. We also used a Hole Hawg and it's junior cousins but..only when it comes to kiln dried fir stuff, you know - the kind that torques your arm off at funny angles sometimes - both those drills mostly just stay in the truck now.

We would have bought a couple more of them. But....

Along came the impact drills. Truck is now about to be cleaned out of about 3 redundant drills.

I think the day of the normal drill is gone now. Some clever manufacturer just has to come up with some kind of universal chuck now.
Posted By: KJay Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 04:45 AM
I really like the rugged Milwaukee hole-shooter itself, but despise that trigger switch and lock mechanism.
Trying to hold it horizontal with one hand with out depressing the trigger is futile and that trigger lock routinely gets unintentionally depressed by your fingers or even the ball of your hand at the most inopportune moments.
It’s got tons of torque though. I think it took three months for my elbow to heal up after it locked up in low range while using a 4" hole saw to cut in a ceiling pan box. It actually spun the drill body inside the side handle locking ring and almost threw me on the ground.
I don’t hold any grudge against it though, as I like it rough sometimes and it is a rugged little drill. grin
Posted By: russ m Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 05:02 PM
I don't care for this trigger at all, seems to bump things or get pushed, when your not expecting it.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 05:05 PM
Interesting comments, thanks.

I'd wondered about the Milwaukee "Quik-Lok" connection. I assume this is a kind of proprietary twist-lock style connector, with the prongs recessed into the bottom of the drill handle?

The trigger aspect is one thing which I'd wondered about just from looking at the pictures. It certainly looks as though it might be a little awkward to carry the drill by the handle without accidentally squeezing the trigger.

Where exactly is the lock button for the trigger located? It's not clear from the photos. Come to that, where and what type is the reversing switch on this model?
Posted By: frankft Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 05:42 PM
I had a 5.5 amp drill, not enought power for me, so I upgraded to the 8 amp one. Better use the handle! lol
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Milwaukee 0234-6 drill? - 01/20/08 06:55 PM
I have 2 of those drill, 1 is a early model (S/N is in the 8000s)w/ a all plastic body including the gear case, the other model has been a great drill taking more abuse then I would care to 'fess up to,there was a comment about the Quick-lok cord,one of Milwaukee's weakness' is the cheap rubber cords, and renosteike's post about the availibilty of it would be a point to ponder.

With all the posts extolling the impact driver, it looks like it's the next tool to consider....
© ECN Electrical Forums