ECN Forum
Posted By: EDW Estimating references - 11/10/02 05:40 AM
Can someone out there suggest a good estimating/cost reference guide. I have 22 years in as member of the IBEW, but have just recently decided to go it on my own contracting. I have seen some software programs like Electrical Bid Master but can't see coughing up $1500 right now considering i will be starting out small. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Estimating references - 11/10/02 05:56 AM
As with most endeavors, I've found:

Success comes from good decisions.
Good decisions come from knowledge.
Knowledge comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad decisions.

Kind of a twist on the trial and error thing, but that's how I've been doing it (and paraphrased from the original, of which the source I cannot remember)...

No other trick or tool seems to help other than losing money an a few houses and learning the hard way.

That is my experience.

<results may vary...>
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Estimating references - 11/10/02 10:26 PM
RS Means
NECA manual
Accubid (software)

I have used all 3 with great results, however, I have no idea how much they cost.
Posted By: Wirenuttt Re: Estimating references - 11/11/02 03:12 PM
Hey EDW.....I think it depends on the type of work your doing right now, does it warrant such an investment? I would just bid accordingly, Time and material, keep track of what the results are to help you figure job costs. Then you can start bidding. That's just my advice. I remember when I first started on my own, I was calling other electricians an pretending to be a homeowner who needs a service change to get prices, that's when I found out that it was a flat rate, more money than T & M for this particular installation. Not saying this way is right, but sometimes you just have to make certain inquiries. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Wirenuttt (edited 11-11-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums