ECN Forum
Posted By: golf junkie Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 12:58 AM
My current job requires more large diameter (3" and 4")emt than I have ever faced before. The problem I'm having is getting a good grip on the coupling nuts with the tools that I have.

What do you suggest for large couplings?

I've tried pipe wrenches, large channel-lock pliers, and a chain wrench, none of these seems very effective. Suggestions???

GJ
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 01:25 AM
screwdriver and hammer...
Posted By: txsparky Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 01:38 AM
How about a 24" aluminum pipe wrench to cut down on the weight?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 01:52 AM
Maybe--
“Channel Lock BigAzz 20 Inch Tongue and Groove Plier” 5½-inch opening http://www.channellock.com/product.cfm?group=2&num=1

They call 'em “four-eighties.”

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-07-2002).]
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 05:17 AM
If all couplings the same can you use a mini socket driver? If the couplings have a slot for a flat screw driver klein makes a Hooded screwdriver that I have found to work really decent. It also has a conduit reamer built onto it for 1/2,3/4,1 inch. Again, there are so many types of manufacturers that it is tough for the "one tool for the job". Hope this helps. I will try to get a picture of the tool. Oh yeah and you might want to try the mini set of Robo Grips. They work well when in tight spots.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 05:20 AM
I guess after reading the main post again I need to ask what the heck a coupling nut is. I figured it was the set screw. Call them locknuts where I am from.
Posted By: joeh20 Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 07:55 AM
I think he means they are using a lot of 3" and 4" compression couplings, instead of the set screw couplings. You know nut on one side nut on the other side and fitting nut in the middle. Big channel locks is about the only way to go. My hooded screwdriver won't fit the set screws on 3" fittings, do they make more than one size?
Posted By: fedup Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 10:59 AM
I would take a 5 iron and hit a low hard draw.Oops wrong board.Ridgid makes some medium sized strap wrenches that work well so do the 470 and 480 channellocks.I have also found that if you put the coupling on one end of your conduit on the ground you only need one set of pliars in the air most of the time

[This message has been edited by fedup (edited 11-08-2002).]
Posted By: electure Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 11:23 AM
I've got to agree with Bjarney and fedup. 480 Channelocks.
Posted By: elektrikguy Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 04:19 PM
Ah, didn't realize he was using compression fittings. [Linked Image] Has any one tried that strap wrench from sears?
And to Joeh20: I have indeed found 3 inch couplings that the hooded screwdriver works but only on kind and that was a year ago. So many different brands out there. Why doesn't Klein make a hooded screwdriver that will fit "All Larger Brands of setscrew couplings.(but moreover why do they continue to use flat head set screws???) It really isn't a bad idea but like you said, hard to find couplings to fit the screwdriver over.
Posted By: electrician02125 Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/08/02 08:32 PM
Start it with a strap wrench and finish it with the channel locks.
Posted By: Fred Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/09/02 01:02 AM
I have a set of Klein strap wrenches that work great for large conduit. They also come in handy for removing that stubborn oil filter.
Posted By: golf junkie Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/09/02 05:22 AM
thanks for the replies.

I have two of the 460 channel-locks and they work well up thru 2 1/2". They were the largest I could find at the time.

I'll check into the Klein strap wrench.......sounds like the ticket to me.

GJ
Posted By: electric-ed Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/09/02 01:00 PM
Just curious, what is a "hooded screwdriver"? Maybe it's what I call a "nutdriver"?

Ed
Posted By: JuddsAirco Re: Tool for large emt RT couplings - 11/09/02 05:10 PM
http://klein.sgsnet.com/products/product.cfm?ProductId=19360

[This message has been edited by JuddsAirco (edited 11-09-2002).]
© ECN Electrical Forums