ECN Forum
Posted By: Haligan Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/09/07 07:55 PM
Not looking forward to cracked bleeding skin.
Any moisturizer out there that doesn't turn your grip into slippery, slimy mess? I've tried a bunch and if there's something good out there I haven't found it yet.

I don't know what's worse, hand pain or picking up a hammer that feels like it's been dipped in 40 weight.
Posted By: LarryC Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/09/07 08:36 PM
Bag balm aka Udder Ointment. It takes about 15 minutes to be absorbed. Try farmer supply house. It is really good when your hands repeatedly alternate between wet and dry.

Larry C
Posted By: Tom Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/09/07 09:20 PM
I use some stuff called AmLactin made by Upshur-Smith. I got it at WalMArt. I've tried quite a few things including bag balm & Crack Cream & this is better IMO.

This stuff is a little pricey, about $12 or $13 for an 8oz bottle, but it sure beats the pain of cracked fingertips.

Be advised, it stings like all get out if you have any cuts or cracks, but it only lasts for a little while.

Tom
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 12:39 AM
I've had great results with Neutrogena. No perfume, does not feel greasy, a tiny bit goes far ... and hands heal real fast.

Though ... think for a second as to the cause of the cracking and peeling. If your hands also happen to be wet a lot, or you are seeing tiny clusters of pinhead size blisters .... you probably have a fungus, AKA "athletes foot." There are also creams (creams are not oily; ointments are)for that as well.
Posted By: Haligan Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 03:54 AM
No hand fungus. Just dry and brittle skin. It will be nice to have a little preventative medicine this year. Thx all.

I knew one guy many years ago who emptied a container of lotion into his coat pockets. Then he could just dip his hands in. This guy was a reporter. Probably used to standing around with his hands in his pockets.
Posted By: e57 Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 08:29 AM
Try simply drinking more water... And washing the dirt from you hands more often with milder soap. Or wearing gloves... Besides some protection from cuts and such, they cut down on wicking of moisture via dirt or air.

On top of just dry air in some climates this time of year - dirt from our line of work can wick moister out of your hands. That coupled with a few beers at night, and/or a few cups of coffee in the morning without backing it up with some water can do a number on you after a while.
Posted By: bigrockk Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 03:01 PM
Every winter I have the same problem. The best stuff I have come across is a product called "Debba". It works pretty good and is not "slimy" at all once it soaks in.
Not sure if it is availible in the U.S. but if you can find it, it might be worth a try.

http://www.debcanada.com/

Posted By: gfretwell Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 04:14 PM
The strange thing is I never remembered this being a problem when I lived in the frozen north but now when I visit my skin seems to get crusty and my nose bleeds. I do my best to stay below the 27th parallel now where the humidity is always over 60%.
Posted By: WNYJim Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 09:47 PM
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands.
The stuff works better than anything else I've tried.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/10/07 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by WNYJim
I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands.
The stuff works better than anything else I've tried.

My dad and I both use it, so I agree!

Ian A.
Posted By: Zapped Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/12/07 01:10 PM
The trick is really to moisturize your hands (and everything else) right out of the shower in the morning (or whenever you shower) and right after washing your hands. The trick is to lock the moisture in, not try to get it in there later. My girlfriend will be proud that I know this...

Gloves help a lot too. "Mechanix" or similar type gloves keep you from taking a lot of little nicks and cuts that contribute to cracking and hand pain. The only time I'm not wearing them is when I'm using tape or working with particularly tiny parts.

Good Luck!
Posted By: earlydean Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/12/07 06:42 PM
I have been known to wear vasoline filled gloves at night to help this problem. I look like Mickey Mouse, but it works. Besides, the lights are out anyway.
Posted By: Grover Re: Cold dry time of year— lotion? - 10/19/07 10:10 AM
I haven't found a good lotion to make it thru our Maine winters - but I do use super glue to seal over the cracks that are deep and painful - works great, no pain, and washes out with Lava, usually at the end of the first or second day....

Grov
© ECN Electrical Forums