ECN Forum
Posted By: Bill39 Webmaster and password request - 06/27/07 11:42 AM
Is there any reason this forum's webmaster is requesting my password or is some creep just "fishing"?
Today at 1:05am I received an email from this site and the subject header was asking about my password.

I didn't open it deleted it immediately
Posted By: Admin Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/27/07 01:19 PM
Bill,

The Webmaster is definitely NOT sending any emails asking for Passwords.

Unfortunately it is too easy to fake emails that look like they are from someone else. There is a way to check the headers to see who an email is really from, but most people don't know that.

Everybody please be careful.

Bill
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 04:14 AM
Oddly enough Bill, I had the same thing about a week ago, like Bill above, I just canned it without opening it.
I was caught ONCE by a thing like this, you won't catch me again.
Posted By: jeepmudman Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 06:10 AM
mad I just wanted to make a mad face to.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 01:49 PM
Neither Webmaster Bill nor any ECN moderators will ever ask you for your password.

To the various degrees allowed for each area, we can edit/delete/move messages and change details in user profiles purely with our own access privileges, so there would never be any need.

Posted By: Admin Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by pauluk
Neither Webmaster Bill nor any ECN moderators will ever ask you for your password.

To the various degrees allowed for each area, we can edit/delete/move messages and change details in user profiles purely with our own access privileges, so there would never be any need.

Actually there is an exception to this.

Unfortunately with the present situation having separate Forum and Chat Room software packages it may be necessary to get a Members current password to allow them access to the Live chat area - but this is something that would be in response to some request by the Member themselves, not something coming out of the blue.

Bill
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 04:24 PM
To the trash can you go...

Ian A.
Posted By: electure Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/28/07 10:14 PM
What would be the point in getting someone's password to this forum anyway?

Change their profile? Give some bad advice in their name?
It doesn't seem that there's much to gain.
Posted By: Admin Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/29/07 01:25 AM
Scott,

I don't see there's much to gain either. That's why being impersonated really ticks me off! mad

I guess the answer is they don't know that. It is some kind of automated process that is doing this.

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: Webmaster and password request - 06/29/07 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Webmaster
Actually there is an exception to this.

Ah yes, I wasn't thinking about the separate chat software.

I can't see why anyone would want to fish for ECN passwords either. It's not as if they'll allow access to bank details or anything like that.
© ECN Electrical Forums