ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Device grades - 10/23/02 08:28 PM
When did commercial, specification, residential, hospital-grade/green dot devices make their appearance?

Were devices graded in any other way prior to this for different anticipated usage?
Posted By: spyder Re: Device grades - 10/23/02 08:46 PM
I am not sure when the classifications came to be. But I can tell you that I find using commercial grade recptacles over spec grade to be worth the extra money.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Device grades - 10/23/02 09:20 PM
Isn't commercial and spec. grade. the same?

I thought the noticable difference is between "residential" grade (the cheap, easily cracked devices in the 89 cent bins at the big orange store) and spec. grade and above.

I avoid residential grade devices like the plague, especially Leviton-branded ones.
Posted By: JBD Re: Device grades - 10/23/02 10:01 PM
There are no industry definitions of phrases like spec-grade , residential, or commercial. (Hospital grade is defined though.) There are some features we have come to expect in different grades but it is still judgemental.

These are simply marketing terms for expensive, cheap, and something in between.

In fact Hubbell calls most of their straight blade receptacles "specification grade".
HBL5262 - Heavy duty, Specification Grade
HBL5252 - Compact, Heavy Duty, Specification Grade
CR5252 - Heavy duty, Specification Grade, Construction and Commercial Series.

[This message has been edited by JBD (edited 10-23-2002).]
Posted By: spyder Re: Device grades - 10/23/02 10:16 PM
JBD,
I think your right about the definitions. Manufacturers have different terms for the grade difference in devices. I personally use a lot of Leviton devices, so I guess I was saying that I prefer the CR-15 (commercial specification grade) to the 5320 (residential grade).
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Device grades - 10/24/02 05:38 AM
Paul,
What exactly are we talking about, here?
Devices, Green Dots?, please expand. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Device grades - 10/24/02 05:56 PM
Thanks guys. I can't say I really noticed the different names used by various manufacturers == I'll have to take a closer look in my Graybar catalog and compare Hubbell, Leviton, etc.

Trumpy,
We're talking about the grade, or quality specification which American receptacles and switches are sold under. Hospital grade recepts. are the highest quality, and are marked with a green dot on the face.

Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but don't hospital-grade devices have to meet certain criteria for minimum tension on the contacts after X insertions/withdrawals?
© ECN Electrical Forums