ECN Forum
Posted By: Ray Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/10/07 03:23 PM
I lost my Ideal leather handled electricians hammer a few months back. I checked with the local supply house and Ideal no longer makes them. I also checked the web and could not find any one who still makes them?

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find one? Maybe new old stock somewhere?

Thanks Ray
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/10/07 08:03 PM
Not sure what you mean by an 'electricians' hammer' Ray.
'Estwing' still make leather-handled claw hammers for slaters and carpenters. I have a beautiful 16oz Estwing [rubber-handled version] straight-claw, the best hammer I've ever owned. Not cheap, so keep your eyes on 'em as they grow legs!
Google for a US dealer.

Alan
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/10/07 08:11 PM
Ray, after a little searching [ Amazon UK ] I found 'Estwing' do indeed still make an electricians hammer with a leather haft- "limited availability" whatever that means.
Seems to be a longer haft and straighter claw- you learn something every day!

Alan
Posted By: hbiss Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/10/07 08:28 PM
Most electricians hammers have a longer nose (to get into places like box brackets and where you need to staple), longer handle and are available only in one lighter weight. Some do have straight claws.

-Hal
Posted By: trollog Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/10/07 11:05 PM
Its been a while since I was there looking at hammers, but I can recall seeing them quite a few times in Big Orange.. They also carried the leather handled hatchet
Posted By: ayrton Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/12/07 01:35 AM
Estwing discontinued the "electricians" hammer EE16SRS. Only way you will replace it is if you steal one from somebody or get lucky and find one on ebay.

That sucks, I know what it is like to have a nice tool and it ends up missing
Posted By: Ray Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/12/07 04:25 PM
Thanks to all that checked this out for me. I will be on the look out for a used one.

Ray
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Leather handled Electricians Hammer - 05/14/07 04:30 PM
Every time I see the title of this thread, I find myself wondering what kind of hammer is used by a leather-handled electrician...
© ECN Electrical Forums