ECN Forum
Posted By: sparky Meter shortage? - 10/03/02 11:58 PM
Rumor has it T&B bought out Anchor, and dropped the meter line...

Milbanks always a month backordered, i love 'em , just can't get 'em....

any comprable options out there??
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Meter shortage? - 10/07/02 01:47 AM
I don't know about options, but I can tell you about a situation. Back in June we put together a proposal for temporary power for the GC on this project I'm on. My supplier called Milbanks to get a quote on some 480 volt, 3 phase, self contained meter cans. They gave him a price on the last 2 left in their warehouse. His response was, "When y'all gonna make any more?" To make a long story short we wouldn't be able to get any until late August at best. He said, "Hey, how about sending the 2 you have left?" The guy told him, "No problem." The result was we spent $350.00 on 2 meter cans that we weren't sure we would use (the proposal hadn't been accepted at that time). With the owner's back against the wall, the GC finally got them to accept the propsal, and I finally get to use those 2 cans I've been hauling around in my truck for the better part of 3-1/2 months. We got lucky.

All metered out,
Doc
Posted By: sparky Re: Meter shortage? - 10/22/02 10:51 PM
I've been busy beating this around with suppliers, the excuse i'm given it 'those crazy utilities we've got around here' line.

We need to:

~ have a side buss bar over 4/0....

~ have a bypass 200A and up, regardless if it is a meter/main combo

does this follow suit elsewhere?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Meter shortage? - 10/22/02 11:29 PM
Spark,
Funny this thread popped up again. I was in a supply house today, and noticed a Milbanks catalog sitting on the counter. Holding up the catalog, I spewed, "What's the problem with these guys, they're always a month behind." The counter guy gave me that [Linked Image] look, and fired right back, "I know!" With this thread in mind, I said, "Do y'all carry another line of metering equipment?" "Midwest", he says. I turned on my heel, and headed for the door thinking, "Should I ask him how many months behind they are?" I said to myself, "Nope, I'll just pass on the information."
Spark,
You might ask around about Midwest. I've never heard of them, but it's worth a shot. Good Luck.

Go Midwest young man,
Doc
Posted By: arseegee Re: Meter shortage? - 10/22/02 11:42 PM
Down here the poco supply meter cans, CT cans, CT meter cans. The only time I HAVE to purchase a can is when it's a meter bank of more than four meters. One poco down here won't let you use anything but their can!
Posted By: nesparky Re: Meter shortage? - 10/23/02 03:14 AM
Depending on the serving poco, they either supply the meter can and CT's if needed or I buy the milbank or midwest products. Both are priced about the same and are not any real difference in quality. Have not had any problem getting either one lately.
Posted By: sparky Re: Meter shortage? - 10/23/02 10:12 AM
did a goggle search for 'midwest', got cowboys & cattle drives so far....

any links appreciated...

looking midwest
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JBD Re: Meter shortage? - 10/23/02 12:51 PM
Try http://www.midwestelectric.com/. They are in Mankato MN.
Posted By: sparky Re: Meter shortage? - 10/23/02 10:36 PM
Thanx JBD,
i have an e-mail inquiry provided via the link, i'll get back to this thread with any breaking news..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Fred Re: Meter shortage? - 10/24/02 12:08 AM
My local supply house handles some Midwest stuff but no meterbases. Mostly non-fused A/C disconnects and RV park pedestals and temp pedestals. I've used the A/C disconnects and they aren't bad for what they are. So far we haven't had any trouble getting Milbank meterbases here. Durham were also available last time I checked. One of our utilities requires the customer to buy a Milbank at the supply house while the other(REMC) still supplies a Milbank.
Posted By: The Watt Doctor Re: Meter shortage? - 10/24/02 02:20 AM
Fred,
You think Midwest equipment is ok? Having used Milbank meter sockets for so long, I wouldn't know how to act if I didn't use their's. It's like using Ideal sidecutters, Klein screwdrivers, Channel Lock channel locks, and Klein, and Klein, blah, blah, blah....Once you've used them for so long, it's hard to change.

All blah'd out,
Doc
© ECN Electrical Forums